With the end of the legislative session hovering dangerously close, Gov. Ed Rendell, state Rep. Dwight Evans and other legislators are still scrambling to pass a bill that would resolve Pennsylvania's mass-transit funding crisis.

With some 41 urban and rural transit systems-- including the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority -- expected to be facing substantial fare increases and service cuts, there is more at stake than rush-hour traffic jams.

SEPTA operates buses, subways and trolleys that run through campus and transport students, faculty and staff across the city. SEPTA estimates that Philadelphia college students make 30,000 trips on the transit system daily.

Company officials have laid out a contingency plan involving the layoff of 1,400 employees, an average fare increase of 25 percent and the elimination of weekend services.

"People all over the state will be affected directly and indirectly, because the whole economy will suffer," said Peter Javsicas, executive director of Pennsylvanians for Transportation Solutions.

A bill that would send $6 million to the state's rural transit agencies was passed this weekend, but no solution was agreed upon with regard to SEPTA's $62 billion financial crisis.

Calling the legislature "irresponsible," Javsicas partly attributed blame to Republican legislators who he said walked away from a proposal spearheaded by Rep. Evans (D-Phila.) and "have not offered a realistic alternative."

Evans' bill, which would be funded by increased taxes on tires and car rentals and the establishment of a $2 fee for emissions tests, would channel $110 million to the Keystone State's mass-transit agencies but was rejected mainly by rural legislators who do not benefit directly from public transit.

SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney said that, although the organization was not thrilled with Evans' proposal, any funding is better than no funding.

Republican legislators contend that there is already money in the budget to tide the system over until the budgeting process next year. Moreover, they dispute the ability of Evans' bill to provide a long-term fix, arguing that only a budget proposal could provide a permanent solution to mass transit.

Steve Miskin, spokesman for House Majority Leader Sam Smith (R-Jefferson), was unsure as to whether SEPTA's financial crisis was caused by poor budgeting or a decrease in riders, and remained on the fence when asked to estimate the possibility of SEPTA implementing its contingency plan in full.

"Historically, they have cried wolf, but this may be the one time that it's totally true."

He explained that so-called "flex funds," federal transportation dollars that Democratic legislators argue are earmarked for bridge and road projects, could be used for other transportation needs.

"The solution is in the governor's hands, and if one person is laid off, if services get cut for one train or one bus, it's on the shoulders of the governor," Miskin said, adding that the last days of the legislative session were an inappropriate time to discuss dedicated funding for mass transit.

Rendell spokeswoman Kate Philips disagreed, emphasizing the need to address the structural deficit that has plagued mass transit for many years.

Both Democratic and Republican leaders profess to be in favor of a permanent funding solution, but cannot seem to agree on the specifics.

"It was just miscommunication in terms of expectations that people have," Evans said. "In the end, we have to get past that to really save our transport system."

He hopes that the legislature will return by the end of the week. Although legislators originally set out to meet a self-imposed deadline that would permit staff to return home for Thanksgiving, it is likely that they will have to remain over the holidays.