[Dave Walker/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Kosher restaurant Irv's Place will be transformed into Strikes bowling alley starting next semester. The alley will feature 12 lanes, pool tables and a bar.

A new urban bowling alley will be taking your average "cosmic bowling" up a notch starting next semester.

The Strikes bowling lounge will be wedged in the heart of the University City community between 40th and 41st streets on Locust Street.

Beaming when discussing the future of his latest business venture, owner Scott Caplan is looking to gear the alley toward people who want to do something more than just go to a bar.

"The goal is to be open by next semester," said Caplan, who also owns Sweat Gym. "We really want to be ready for when the students come back."

Not only will the bowling alley feature 12 lanes, but it will also have pool tables, a bar and a restaurant. The restaurant will feature foods like wraps, salads, chicken tenders and fries.

There are currently no bowling alleys within urban Philadelphia. However, there is a plan in the works to put another bowling alley in Center City, though it is not associated with Strikes. Many campus organizations travel to New Jersey to go bowling.

"Wow, a bowling alley? I've never had bowling in walking distance. I've always wanted a bowling alley within walking distance," Wharton sophomore Rick Fox said. "What's next, laser tag?"

Currently, little construction has occurred, but the space itself is deep, stretching almost to Irving Street.

The atmosphere at Strikes is "going to be like nothing anyone's ever seen," Caplan said. The outside will have big, open windows, and upon entering the building, there will be four lanes to the left. Rather than have a wall behind the pins, there will be glass, which will expose the inner workings of the machinery.

Also, there will be a mezzanine level above the bar, which will serve as a site for private parties.

Although "it will be hip," it will not be "too trendy," he said.

"Anybody who comes here will feel comfortable," Caplan said.

Caplan and his partner Matt Canno looked at various locations across the country but liked University City the best.

"University City is great. We love the neighborhood," Caplan said. "Being on a college campus is perfect."

Students seem excited about the prospect of a bowling alley coming to campus.

"They are fun. I really like them," College sophomore Rachel Fiske-Cipriani said. "The shoes are my favorite part."