[Fred David/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Wide receiver Dan Castles tallied eight catches for 131 yards in Penn's 17-7 win over Yale.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Running back Sam Mathews recorded a pair of touchdowns as the No. 22 Quakers marched to their 18th Ancient Eight win in a row Saturday at the Yale Bowl. "To go 18 in a row without anybody beating you, I don't know if the kids can appreciate it or will appreciate it until some time down the road," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said. Junior quarterback Pat McDermott threw for 276 yards as the Red and Blue handed Yale its second Ivy loss of the season, 17-7. Sophomore kicker Peter Stine made his debut with the Varsity team by nailing a 25-yard field goal in the third quarter to put the Quakers in front for good, 10-7. This was Stine's first game since moving up from the sprint football team. Mathews gave the Quakers an insurance score at the end of the third quarter with a 4-yard touchdown run to cap an 80-yard Quakers drive. The junior tallied 169 yards on the ground including a key 40-yard dash in the fourth quarter to take the ball out of Penn teritory for good. The Penn defense held its own in the second half, allowing the Elis only six minutes and six seconds of ball control. Junior defensive back Brad Martinez sealed the win for Penn by forcing Yale's Ralph Plumb to fumble an Alvin Cowan pass on the Quakers 15-yard line as the Elis were making a late charge in the fourth quarter. "We knew we were going into a team that had a lot of fire power, that had a lot of senior leadership," Bagnoli said. "We knew were going into a place that was going to be desperate, already having one Ivy League loss, and pretty much knowing that when you get your second, it becomes tough to overcome." The Quakers improve to 5-1 and 3-0 in the Ivy League, while the Elis fall to 3-3 and 1-2.

Ivy Football Scoreboard (22)PENN 17, Yale 7 Brown 21, Cornell 17 (19)Harvard 39, Princeton 14 Columbia 9, Dartmouth 6