Over 190 student groups on Penn's campus will be looking to a new point person for funding information from now on, with the election of the Student Activities Council's top positions yesterday.

In a special meeting last night, the nine members of the SAC Executive Committee elected Wharton junior Omar Vasquez as chairman, Wharton and College sophomore Varun Sureka as vice chairman and College sophomore Philip Gommels as secretary.

"I have full confidence that the new board will maintain SAC's current momentum," Outgoing Chairman and Wharton senior Simon Bland said, adding that he "trust[s] they will inject a rejuvenated vision and bring further energy to the body."

Vasquez seeks to build on what he refers to as "the efficiency and success the SAC Executive [Committee] has enjoyed over the past few years."

He said he is also focused on improving some external aspects of the group.

"I plan to improve SAC's visibility on campus and improve its image as fair, friendly and approachable," Vasquez said.

Executive Committee member Craig Cohen also wants to see students' opinions of SAC improved over the upcoming year.

SAC is "trying to be more in touch with the student groups," the Wharton sophomore and Daily Pennsylvanian columnist said.

Cohen, along with the eight other Executive Committee members, was elected by representatives of the 193 SAC-supported clubs at a Feb. 19 general body meeting.

"People are welcome to nominate themselves or one another in advance of in the meeting," said College senior Naomi Berkowitz, who served as vice chairwoman this past year.

The candidates must serve on the board of a SAC-recognized club and be either sophomores or juniors.

Vasquez is actually an Executive Committee veteran, and Gommels has experience working on the "subcommittee for budget and allocation review over the past semester," according to Berkowitz.

She seemed to be content with passing on the reins to a new generation of SAC executives.

"I'm confident from what I've seen with them that they'll do a fine job," she said.

As the leaders of the Executive Committee, the three undergraduates will have to deal with issues of budgeting, extending recognition and providing SAC-recognized clubs with contingency funding.