As part of Penn's monthlong symposium to commemorate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., hundreds of students, faculty and members of the greater Philadelphia community braved the sub-zero temperatures and resisted the temptation of sleeping late yesterday in order to partake in the fourth annual Day of Service.

United by a desire to engender social change, various service events -- organized by the symposium's Executive Planning Committee -- served as a tribute to King and his dedication to community involvement and activism.

"Dr. King's life was a living example of a commitment to service," said Machamma Quinichett, executive chairwoman of the symposium's planning committee. "With these service events, we want to follow Dr. King's model and make sure that today is a day on, not a day off."

To ensure that King's birthday was a "day on," for not only students, but for the community at large, the committee aimed to organize a variety of events and community service options for people of all ages and interests.

"These community service activities are great because not only minority people are here," said College junior and volunteer Enny Peguero. "Everyone is working here together to help the community, which is what he would have liked to see. We are truly living his legacy."

The day's highlights included blanket making and stocking stuffing, in which participants designed gifts for residents of West Philadelphia shelters and nursing homes. Another featured activity was the Philadelphia Reads Program, in which participants received literacy training so they could serve as reading tutors in area schools.

"We pride ourselves on being able to offer an activity for everyone," Co-Chairwoman of the symposium's Day of Service Committee Pamela Robinson said.

Emphasizing the importance of involving children in the day's events, Robinson outlined the various outlets in which volunteers of all ages could participate.

Banner painting was one of the most popular activities with children painting signs containing King's slogans and ideology. The banners will be displayed around campus throughout the month.

"The day and the service activities give us the opportunity to teach kids about Dr. King's message, and why he was so important to America and the world," Robinson said.

Service event organizers and volunteers noted the importance of youth involvement as a way to ensure that future generations will continue to participate in King's fight for social justice and fairness.

"The banner painting was a way to celebrate Dr. King's ideas in a way which is meaningful to kids," activities volunteer and College sophomore Matt Berns said. "Dr. King shows how an individual can create social change and fight inequality, and with these kind of events, we can help inspire kids to do that kind of thing when they get older."

Younger participants echoed these sentiments, praising the opportunity to celebrate King's legacy.

"Dr. King would have liked to see us doing this, especially since we're younger," said community participant Kelly Elam, whose blanket read, "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ... he did it for the past, we must do it for the present."