However, though incumbent Anna Verna retained her seat, the council voted to reorganize its structure. The change will result in a major transfer of power from Verna to Majority Leader Blackwell and Republican Minority Leader Brian O'Neill of Northeast Philadelphia.

The vote to restructure the council occurs every four years, with the election of the body president.

According to the new rules governing the council, two of the three leaders must agree on committee chair appointments, and Blackwell herself must approve Verna's appointments to council staff members.

Previously, these tasks were the sole responsibility of the council president.

Additionally, whereas the council's president previously held a four-year term, now the council can unseat the president at any time during Verna's four years through a majority vote.

Some Philadelphia residents see this reorganization as an attempt by Mayor John Street to usurp power from the council -- Blackwell and O'Neill are two of Street's main allies on the council.

The new structure is "going to give the mayor real authority over who are the chairs of the committees," said Christopher Patusky, deputy director and chief operating officer at the Fels Institute of Government.

The committee chairs have significant influence within the council, he continued.

Patusky said that the current council has conflicted with the mayor over the past four years regarding legislative priorities -- including the Neighborhood Transformation Initiative and his budget goals.

The restructuring means "that he has gained some leverage in the ongoing relationship" between the council and the mayor, Patusky added.

Still, the effects of the restructuring largely remain to be seen, and while Street appears to have gained a spokeswoman in Blackwell, council Republicans have also gained power.

"It would certainly appear that Jannie Blackwell was the architect of this" restructuring, said Matt Wolfe, Republican ward leader for Penn's district. Still, "it remains to be seen whether it benefits the mayor."

Giving the minority party -- through O'Neill -- a greater voice in policy will provide Republicans with a stronger voting bloc to affect policy, Wolfe said.

Moreover, O'Neill's expanded responsibilities will give Republicans a greater role in the daily business of city council, Wolfe said.

Vice President for Government and Community Affairs Carol Scheman called it "no surprise that Anna Verna was re-elected."

"The surprise was the significant shift of power," she added.

Scheman said that the increase in power for Blackwell will "make things work well" in the council.

"Blackwell has an excellent reputation of working well with people, listening, developing consensus, paying attention to feelings," she said.

Additionally, having West Philadelphia's councilwoman "in such a position of power" stands to benefit both Penn and the community, Scheman said.