Senior Jeff Schiffner, shown in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Oklahoma State, is under investigation by the NCAA for taking part in an unofficial game at his church this summer. [Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

Penn senior Jeff Schiffner -- an all-Ivy performer at guard a year ago -- has come under NCAA scrutiny for playing basketball this summer at his local church in New Jersey.

"It really wasn't a league, it wasn't a tournament, it wasn't anything," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said. "It was just a bunch of guys getting together, shirts and skins. It became an issue but hopefully the NCAA will view it very favorably."

The NCAA is considering a one-game suspension for the possibility of playing in an uncertified game. The NCAA will not comment on individual athletes' situations.

Schiffner is not the only Penn player who could miss the Nov. 21 opener against Wisconsin.

Sophomore Friedrich Ebede is also under investigation by the NCAA for what Penn coach Fran Dunphy called a "similar" situation to Schiffner's.

"Friedrich has a little bit of an issue," Dunphy said. "Very innocent."

Ebede could not be reached for comment.

While Schiffner would not indicate exactly when he was contacted by the NCAA, he said that he had "known about it for a while."

Schiffner said that he has bigger worries than his eligibility.

"Everybody's thinking about Wisconsin, and we don't want to lose focus as far as that's concerned," he said. "It's out of my hands."

Schiffner did not want to go into details about the summer game with the NCAA decision still pending.

The nation's leading three-point shooter a year ago views this investigation as "an unfortunate situation" and doesn't feel that "this is a case where anyone's to blame as far as trying to get me in trouble or trying to get the team in trouble."

It is unknown as to when the NCAA will rule on Ebede or Schiffner.

"I'm waiting right now," Schiffner said. "It's kind of a waiting process. We're hoping for the best."

"It's crazy," Schiffner added. "Obviously, anything can happen."

Current NCAA rules concerning summer basketball -- Rules 30.16 and 30.17 -- require all summer basketball games by Division I athletes to be certified.

Additionally, student-athletes cannot play in a game that raises any revenue. All-star games and games in which a player receives financial compensation are also prohibited.