The Triangle Diner, which was originally scheduled to be done by this semester, has been delayed until January. [Julia Zhou/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

It seems that Penn students will have to wait a bit longer to experience 1950s-style dining on campus.

The opening of the Triangle Diner, which will offer traditional diner fare like burgers, fries and milkshakes, has been delayed until Jan. 12, the first day of classes next semester. Originally, it was scheduled to open in late October.

The Triangle Diner will be located in the Stouffer Triangle complex on Spruce Street between 37th and 38th streets, filling most of the vacancy left by Stouffer Commons and Campus Chemist.

According to Dining officials, the diner is meant to target Quadrangle residents, particularly with its late-night hours and acceptance of Dining Dollars.

"We are still on schedule," said Mike Cenicola, resident district manager for Dining Services. "At this point, we're comfortable with where we are. We gotta get those burgers out, right?"

Cenicola said that the diner has been delayed in opening because "when you work with the city, there are some things that are out of our control."

According to Cenicola, the space needs to have certain utilities connected before it can open, and Dining Services is collaborating with city officials to make sure these things happen in a timely manner.

"The City of Philadelphia is scheduled to come in and connect the gas," he added. "The contractors are on schedule."

"I think it's something that's going to be well-received on campus," he said, pointing out that the diner will likely be open until midnight.

"Like we do with everything else, we'll work with students and identify the hours that fit their needs," he added.

Many students who live in the Quad see a need for more venues that both stay open later and accept Dining Dollars.

"It's hard to get food late at night in the Quad, especially with all the food carts closing so early," College freshman Miriam Estin said.

Estin, a Quad resident, said she likes that the diner will take Dining Dollars.

"Since freshmen are on a meal plan, we are pressured to go to the dining halls and use the meals when [we] can," she said.

Nursing senior Sarah Kangas said that she anticipates the arrival of a conveniently located eatery, especially when McClelland Hall is closed.

"I just don't know the date when it's opening, but I look forward to it opening," the Quad resident said.

"Having [the diner] open 'til midnight would be perfect," she said. "I really like to use my meal plan to its maximum."

Wharton freshman Kevin Lau said that the location of the diner is ideal.

"I live in Stouffer, and it's just right below us," he said.

According to Lau, there is a lack of late-night dining options around campus, and the Triangle Diner could help fill this void.

"Not just in the Quad, but in the whole community, because everything closes at 9 and that's when we start getting hungry," he said.

According to those in charge of neighboring restaurants Beijing and Saladworks, the prolonged vacancy due to the delay of the Triangle Diner's opening is not a concern and has not affected their businesses.

Alex Yuen, the owner of Beijing, said that once the diner opens, it will not serve as competition, because Beijing "clients are very unique."

"There's got to be dozens and dozens of places that sell Chinese food, [but] we've been here the longest," he said, adding that their style of food is different than the diner's will be. "I think our customers are more loyal than anything."

"There's nothing negative about" the Triangle Diner opening, he said. "It's OK to give people more choices."

"It will brighten up the place, and actually be better for the area, bring more people around the corner here," he added.

Saladworks manager Thomas Ross also noted that the Triangle Diner will appeal to different customers than those who eat at his establishment.

"It's like apples and oranges," he said.

"It might bring us more business," he added. "Somebody might want a burger, and their friends want a salad."