With less than 48 hours before the conclusion of Philadelphia's mayoral campaign, Democratic incumbent John Street is ahead in the polls -- but neither camp is making any assumptions about the election's outcome.

"Polls don't vote," Street spokesman Mark Nevins said. "We want to make sure we run through the tape at the finish line."

"My opinion is that [the polls] are wrong," Republican challenger Sam Katz said. "The feedback that I'm getting is terrific."

Still, many recognize the potential polls have to affect voter turnout.

"I think [the results will] mobilize Katz voters and... make Street voters just a little more complacent," said Dan Gomez, Daily Pennsylvanian columnist, College junior and chairman of the College Republicans.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday that, according to a poll conducted by KYW-TV, KYW-AM and Temple University, Street has a 17-point lead over Katz. The Inquirer also reported that a Fox News poll revealed a 13-point lead for Street.

Still, Nevins said the Street camp is "optimistic, but not taking anything for granted."

"I don't think we've done anything different at any point in this campaign," Nevins said. In spite of the recent polls, "we've had a winning strategy throughout this campaign, and we haven't deviated from it."

Part of that strategy has been to bring prominent Democrats to Philadelphia to vocalize their support for Street.

On Friday, former President Bill Clinton, along with Governor Ed Rendell and Street himself, led a rally at the Philadelphia Marriott in order to further boost support for the mayor's campaign.

Political Science professors Jack Nagel and Henry Teune both expect a Street victory.

"He's got the blacks mobilized and those who are opposed to him neutralized," Teune said. "I don't know how he would lose."

"The impact of the wire tapping in Street's favor has been quite remarkable," Nagel said, referring to the continuing Federal Bureau of Investigation probe in which Street is a subject.

"It does show how deeply the Bush administration and the Republican party are mistrusted, at least among Democratic loyalists who hope to dominate in Philadelphia," he continued.

Teune called the election a "contest between Bush and Street."

"People are not thinking so much in terms of the city, but in terms of national politics, which is unusual for a mayoral election," Nagel said.

But some students expect race instead of national politics to be the deciding factor in Tuesday's outcome.

Rich Eisenberg, College junior and president of the College Democrats, said he believes that people are "sick of the tactics that Republicans like to use to get into office," and that this will lead voters to lending support to Street.

Still, some see Katz pulling ahead in the end.

"It's time for a change," College sophomore John Erickson said, predicting a Republican victory for the city.

"I think that people realize that John Street re-elected would be very bad for Philadelphia," Katz said. "I'm confident that we're going to win."

Still, most people agree that regardless of the outcome, there will be a lot of nailbiting tomorrow night as the returns come in.

At this point, Katz said he plans to "just try to persuade as many people who are still on the fence" to come out and vote and to vote for him.

"There's always the risk that people on either side get overconfident or discouraged and decide that they don't need to participate," Nevins said. "One thing that both sides can agree on... [is] it's time to just go out and cast your vote."