University Police have arrested a man in connection with last month's armed robbery on 41st and Spruce streets. The incident was part of a string of crimes that occurred on and near campus early this semester.

On Monday, Oct. 20, at approximately 6:30 p.m., Shaun Barrett, a 20-year-old male, surrendered himself at the University Police Department's 4040 Chestnut St. headquarters. University Police had issued a warrant for his apprehension in connection with robbery, violation of the Uniform Firearms Act and other related offenses, according to the UPPD.

Barrett was charged in connection with the robbery that occurred at 41st and Spruce streets on Sept. 17, said Chief of Police Thomas Rambo. He was allegedly in possession of a gun at the time of the incident, and is the third individual to have been apprehended in connection with the incident thus far.

Three men allegedly robbed a male student at gunpoint at about 12:18 a.m. on the 4100 block of Spruce Street, University Police said.

The student had been traveling west on Spruce and 41st streets when the men approached him.

"They pointed a gun at him and told him to keep walking, and then they grabbed him, threw him against the wall and went into his pockets and took his wallet and his backpack," Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said following the robbery. "Before they left, they punched him in the jaw."

She said that the student sustained "minor injuries to his face," though he was not taken to the hospital after the robbery.

Derrick Rooker and Jason Garner, both 21-year-old males unaffiliated with the University, were also arrested in connection with the incident.

Rooker was arrested Oct. 10 at his attorney's office in conjunction with the 41st and Spruce streets robbery as well as one that occurred on the 4200 block of Pine Street Aug. 29. Garner was arraigned Oct. 8 due to alleged involvement in the Sept. 17 robbery. He was charged with "robbery, violation of the Uniform Firearms Act and other related offenses," Rambo said after his arrest.

Barrett has not been implicated in any of the other robberies that occurred around campus, according to Rambo.

Police received reports of at least 15 robberies in late August and early September. There have been no reported robberies in the University area since Sept. 24.