Philadelphia and University police officers were among those who distributed safety tips and other information at a fair Wednesday. [Geoff Robinson/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The lobby of the Science Center at 36th and Market streets was crowded with University City residents and employees seeking information about safety issues Wednesday afternoon.

The group was gathered for the first-ever University City Safety Fair, organized by the University City District and the Science Center to educate the community about safety awareness and crime prevention.

Pamphlets and flyers that were distributed covered safety-related topics ranging from "how you can avoid being car-jacked" to "safety tips for business owners."

"We want to educate people so they don't become victims of crime," said Lt. Fred Carbonara, commanding officer of the Philadelphia Police Department's University City substation.

Aside from the PPD and the UCD, representatives from Allied Security, Amtrak, Penn Police, Drexel Police, Philadelphia Police, the Philadelphia Fire Department, the Red Cross, SEPTA, the Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania and the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia participated in and sponsored the fair.

"These groups represent a large force in University City, and they have great information to share with the public," said UCD spokeswoman Lori Klein Brennan.

Despite unusually high robbery rates on and near campus since the beginning of the year, Carbonara said the fair was not organized in response to current crime levels.

"It hits home a little more, since we did experience a problem, but that's under control," he said.

"It's important to let people know what UCD does, what the Penn Police do, so they know who to call or talk to when something bothers them," said Patty English, senior property manager for the Science Center.

Brennan said the UCD hopes to hold safety fairs four times a year in different locations throughout the district. Although the first fair was targeted towards employees and residents, she said another may focus on students.

"We thought a fair would be an effective way to educate people about public safety," said Eric Goldstein, executive director of UCD.

"We want people to be smart, we are in an urban environment, and need to take some precautions," Brennan added.

The fair was promoted through e-mails and flyers passed out to tenants of the Science Center building, as well as in an article published in the UC Review.

Passers-by were also ushered into the fair by "McGruff" the Crime Dog, the familiar safety symbol associated with police organizations across the country.

"We work across the street, and the crime dog got our attention," said Victoria Bobryk, an employee with Penn Medicine who attended the safety fair.

"He also promised free food," added her co-worker, Mariellen Smith.

Sure enough, UCD handed out free Philadelphia-style pretzels to everyone who entered the fair.

UCD also organized a raffle with prizes which included tickets for the Annenberg Center and the Institute of Contemporary Art, gift certificates to local restaurants and overnight stays at the Inn at Penn.

"So far, we're thrilled with the turnout," Brennan said. "We've already seen a couple hundred people."