With the score knotted at 31 and Yale set to attempt a 22-yard field goal on the opening drive of overtime, sophomore defensive back Casey Edgar rose up in the center of the Penn defense and blocked the kick. It was the play the Quakers had been trying to make to stop the Elis from scoring ever since Yale began its desperate comeback from a 31-10 fourth quarter deficit. After the block, Penn got the ball back on Yale's 25-yard line. Sam Mathews and Mike Recchiuti ran it to the five before Peter Veldman gave Penn a 34-31 win on a short field goal. The Quakers held leads of 24-3 and 31-10 in the second half. A touchdown pass from quarterback Mike Mitchell to wide receiver Dan Castles with a little more than ten minutes to play put Penn up three scores and seemed to clinch the victory. But Yale's quarterback Alvin Cowan had other plans. He lead the Elis on three scoring drives -- which included a successful onside kick at the eight-minute mark -- and tied the game at 31 with 32 seconds to play. The Quakers drove to Yale's 28 with three seconds left in regulation, but Veldman's desperation 45-yard attempt came up short, setting up the overtime. The Quakers remain undefeated at 6-0, 3-0 in the Ivy League, while the Elis lost their second straight to fall to 2-1 in Ivy play and 4-2 overall.