A SEPTA trolley hit and injured a man on 39th and Spruce streets Friday evening, according to SEPTA officials.

The man, whose affiliation with the University is unknown, was riding his bicycle on Spruce Street when he swerved to miss an open door of a parked automobile. He then fell from his bike and was struck when he entered the trolley route, according to officials and a witness.

"The trolley was unaware that it hit someone," SEPTA spokesman Felipe Suarez said. "Another trolley reported it."

Noting that the report came in at about 11 p.m. on Friday, Suarez said that the injured man was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

"He was in stable condition with injuries to his right foot," Suarez said.

According to Wharton graduate Tahir Paroo, who arrived on the scene shortly after the accident, "there was a line of blood running from the SEPTA trolley to the sidewalk."

Although University Police and Philadelphia Police officials both said they had no knowledge of the incident, "there were a lot of cops around trying to direct traffic," Paroo said.

SEPTA officials note that an internal investigation is ongoing.

"We're checking trolleys from that night... for evidence of an accident," Suarez said.

Officials also said that because of urban congestion, this type of accident is not a rarity.

"It's not common, but it does happen," Suarez said. "Accidents of this type are unavoidable at times."

The alleged accident came less than a week after a SEPTA trolley collided into a house at 42nd and Spruce streets.

A SEPTA investigation is also being conducted into that accident, which sent four people to the hospital and caused substantial property damage.