New York Jets prospect Vince Alexander (right), here against Harvard, has a good shot at making the final roster for the 2003-2004 season and has recently drawn comparisons with two-time Pro-Bowler Larry Izzo. [Mary Kinosian/DP File Photo]

Vince Alexander will begin his final drive for a spot on the New York Jets roster next week.

The former Penn safety -- who will move to linebacker and special teams in the pros -- begins training camp Sunday.

For a man with so many of his aspirations for the future about to be decided, Alexander seems relaxed.

He is also confident.

"I feel pretty good going into the camp," he said. "I've already had mini-camp and three practices to get used to the defense."

The transition from the Ivies to the NFL has gone mostly according to plan for Alexander this summer.

Despite not being drafted, he was picked up by the Jets relatively quickly.

Switching to linebacker and special teams is also something of a homecoming -- Alexander came to Penn as a linebacker before switching to safety as a freshmen.

Alexander is no doubt hoping that this change of position will be as profitable as the last. After moving to safety at Penn the 6' 1", 210 lb. star started putting up the statistics that drew NFL recruiter's attention.

In his final season with the Quakers, Alexander led the Ivy League with five interceptions and 102 return yards. He also recorded a 42-yard touchdown return.

Skills he learned as a linebacker were also in evidence on several occasions as he managed to put up eight tackles for loss and five sacks.

At season's end Alexander was named a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection and a third team Associated Press All-American.

Getting signed with the Jets was a chance to continue to excel -- a chance that had a lot do with Mike Westhoff.

Westhoff is the Jets special teams coach, as well as the father of former Penn footballer John Westhoff and attended several Penn games in the fall as a result.

"Anytime you get a coach seeing you play it's always a plus," Alexander said. "You get to see what type of player a person is when you watch them throughout the course of an entire game --instead of just a couple plays like you might on film."

Alexander knows he can't simply rest on his laurels. He has been working hard to ensure he can compete against competition that is stronger, faster and smarter.

"I've been training for the past month," he said. "Everyone says I have a real good shot at making the final roster."

The most telling sign of Alexander's prospects is probably the comparison Westhoff has drawn to another undrafted free agent he signed almost a decade ago -- Larry Izzo.

"I'm happy if he made that comparison," Alexander said when he learned of it. "Larry Izzo is a guy who's a strong safety linebacker. -- and he's also done very well at special teams."

"If I could live up to that I would be happy," he said, "and I'm sure the Jets would be happy."

Alexander knows that he still has a ways to go, but the chance to play in the NFL is now tantalizingly close. With the preseason approaching he knows his moment has come. Only time will tell if he has enough in him.

"I don't know how many linebackers they're going to keep," he said. "Right now it's still real early."

"During practice you get a feel for it, but it's not a game situation," Alexander said. "Hopefully I will start making plays and better my position on the team."