Seniors douse juniors with shaving cream, one of the traditional rituals that accompany Hey Day. On Hey Day, held on the last day of classes, University President Judy Rodin deems juniors seniors. [Kien Lam/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Brandishing hats and wielding canes, the Class of 2004 paraded through blocked-off intersections and past dancing Spectaguards in its quest for senior status Friday.

In annual Hey Day tradition, the class met at Hill Field for a picnic as juniors and -- after promenading through the Quadrangle and down Locust Walk to hear University President Judith Rodin speak at College Hall -- left College Green that afternoon as seniors.

"Penn is all about traditions, and this is one of the best," College junior Jason Richman said. "Today is about camaraderie."

College junior Molly Lazer also emphasized the importance of camaraderie among what she described as "the drunken red sea of juniors in Styrofoam hats."

While alcohol was undeniably included in the festivities -- with College junior Raman Unnikrishnan noting, "We woke up at 10:30 and thought, 'Now is the time to drink'" -- derogatory chants against Rodin, for the most part, were not.

Controversy arose recently when the Women's Center and other student groups publicized their anger over students chanting "Show us your tits" to Rodin in years past.

Yet, this year's class resolved to rise above the controversy. Last week, campus groups collected hundreds of petition signatures from students pledging not to take part in the chant.

"It's very inappropriate," College junior Emily Reynolds said. "This tradition is bigger than that."

Traditionally, Hey Day marks the first time the class has assembled since Convocation -- it also marks the last time the class will assemble before Commencement.

"You can recognize who's in the junior class and look over and say that that kid was in my freshman seminar," Lazer said.

"It's really scary," College junior Lauren Carter added. "It's amazing how much people have changed since Convocation."

Looking toward Commencement, Junior Class President Meredith Seidel reminded the rowdy crowd that after Hey Day, the Class of 2004 only had 383 days left as undergraduates.

The realization that Hey Day marked the approach of graduation had some juniors not only excited, but also a little worried.

"Everyone is like, 'Oh, you're old!'" College junior Matthew Freedman said. "Being seniors means we're going to graduate -- and I'm too young for that."

But for most, the day was one of excitement and nostalgia. The majority of students who were able to hang on to their hats had every intention of keeping them -- minus the chunks that had been bitten off.

Engineering junior Kelechi Wami had his friends sign his hat to add to its nostalgic value. Initially estimating that he had over 60 signatures, Wami admitted that "with the bites, it's a lot less."

While hat-biting is undeniably a part of Hey Day tradition, several juniors also had minor complaints.

"I think I swallowed a piece," College junior Sonalee Majumdar said.

"They taste awful," Wharton senior Rina Vazirani added. "Next year, they should have edible hats."

But despite the taste, juniors -- now seniors -- enjoyed the day.

"This is a blast," College junior Bunty Agarwal said. "This is the best moment I've had at Penn."