The Quad was jam-packed on Saturday afternoon as thousands of students took part in the festivities, visited food vendors and attended the performances of numerous campus groups. Among them, Mask and Wig in particular drew an enthused crowd that moshed an

In the first few hours of Friday's Spring Fling Quadrangle kickoff, it looked as if rain had won the battle -- but with students streaming in as the afternoon wore on, it became clear that the rain had not won the war.

Those taking the weather head-on were rewarded with everything from autographs from Fling band OK Go to all-day performances by various campus groups.

Upper Quad housed a Nintendo GameCube offering the prize of purple body glitter, a Best Buy Game Zone where students challenged their music skills, a "tattoo parlor," an Herbal Essences video booth for not-so-shy students, a jousting moonwalk and a food stand to satisfy fried Oreo cravings.

Engineering freshman Danielle Schulman competed in the Best Buy Game Zone. "It was very hard actually," she said. "The bands were not really well-known."

In Lower Quad, performers such as Justin Menda and Reverse Reality took the stage while Strictly Funk performed in the Upper Quad.

Reaction to Friday was mixed.

Fling is "not as big as I thought it would be," College junior Allison Chayo said. "The booths are closed, and there aren't as many people out."

However, Wharton junior Talia Zapolanski said that she loved Fling, adding that "the only thing that's missing from Spring Fling this year is Officer Johnson," referring to the dancing policeman who works outside the Penn Bookstore.

As the evening approached, the crowds migrated to Franklin Field for the famed Fling concert and welcomed Busta Rhymes, Jurassic 5, The Donnas and OK Go to this year's location.

Saturday's weather decided to cooperate, and the Quad once again teemed with people.

"I liked how they arranged for the sun to come out today," Syracuse University junior Ross Plotkin said.

Sundown found mobs of students flooding Wynn Commons and College Green for the Fling Carnival. Free Philly cheesesteaks, vegetarian meatballs and sandwiches kept students' mouths busy, while karaoke, candy art, hat-making, WB screenings and laser tag kept the rest of their bodies in motion throughout the evening.

"Anything that gives me a free cheesesteak, I love," College freshman Denise La Belle said.

And even visiting pre-frosh were sold on Penn by the end of the carnival.

"It makes me want to go to Penn," said high school junior Danielle Slutsky, who escaped closed campus rules and parental curfews to get an inside-look at college this weekend.

"You see the whole community come together to party. Everyone's out -- everyone's having a good time."

Sounds emanating from Wynn Commons included the stylings of Penn Jazz and Dischord and drew out even the hardcore academics.

"I've had work to do, unfortunately," Engineering freshman Steve Muniz said.

"But this is some good stuff going on here tonight."

The scene on College Green saw the WB television station's makeshift lounges, long lines for activities, plus the occasional hot pink wig and police officer.

Reaction to Fling 2003 was mostly positive.

"At least our tuition pays for something worthwhile," said College sophomore Noam Vander Walde. "Other than cable, that is."

Many people found the concert to be their favorite part of Fling.

"The best part was definitely [Friday] night," Wharton sophomore Preston Lewellen said.

"I was right in front of Busta -- he could practically spit on me."