Wartime jitters have increased on campus, and so has Penn's emergency response level.

Immediately following Bush's announcement of war with Iraq on Wednesday night, Penn raised its emergency response to Level 2 -- which would protect against a "localized, critical incident" -- and has augmented the number of security personnel around campus and communication with city, state and federal officials.

"If it's physical safety, we are highly prepared," said University President Judith Rodin, who e-mailed information to students about campus security last night. "We have a very coordinated game plan in case of an attack or any type of terrorist event at home."

The three-level emergency response plan was made to handle situations ranging from snow storms to fires to terrorist attacks, according to Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush.

With dormitory and facility evacuation procedures already in place, officials advise students to simply pay attention.

"The main thing they have to do is follow directions," Rush said, explaining that alarm systems will sound in an emergency, and depending on the situation, safety officials will either direct students to a safe location or keep them sheltered in one place. "We do implore that people do not ignore bells."

Public Safety coordinates with Business Services to ensure that five days worth of food and water -- provided by food management company Aramark -- is stored in dining halls, canteen areas in buildings and other stockpiles around campus.

And to further simplify Penn's emergency plan, Rush and the Office of the Executive Vice President are drafting a "playbook," which will help individual departments know their specific duties more quickly.

Penn's Division of Public Safety works closely with Philadelphia Police and the fire department, as well as SEPTA, Amtrak and postal police, Rush said. It also collaborates with local hospital directors, University City District and Drexel University.

Penn's emergency response plan began to develop two years ago, when the school hired risk-consulting company Kroll Associates. And since then -- and even more so after the Sept. 11 attacks -- the Division of Public Safety and its constituents have conducted regular drills and simulations, including evacuations of dormitories and biohazard drills at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

"Everyone's gone through a lot of training," Rush said, adding that administrators also meet monthly with the U.S. Attorney's Office.

With the threat of bioterrorism looming, Penn's Institute for Strategic Threat Analysis and Response is keeping "a little closer eye" on the possibility of attack, according to ISTAR Director Harvey Rubin.

"We have a lot of research interest and proposals and collaboration," Rubin said. "The current situation gives the research more immediacy."

And experts say now that the U.S. is at war, the threat is all the more real.

"We should presume that some terrorist groups will try to carry out attacks within the U.S.," Political Science Professor Avery Goldstein said, noting that despite the efforts of federal, state and local agencies, it is likely that not all terrorism can be prevented.

And while he believes that the University as a whole is prepared, Goldstein advises that individuals "be vigilant" and mentally prepared.

"It's important for people to think what you would do in the event that something happened... without worrying yourself too much," he said.

While most members of the Penn community are trying to continue with their normal lives, safety concerns are forcing some activities to the back burner -- Rodin had originally scheduled various alumni and fundraising events in Singapore and Hong Kong this week, but decided to cancel the trip.

"I feel it's really important to be on campus during this time," Rodin said. "My first responsibility is to Penn and Penn's campus."

Staff reporters Julia Barmeier, Alyssa Beaver and Matt Gorski contributed to this report.