As protesters fume, activists sing and chant and the grim business of war proceeds in Iraq, a community of students at Penn faces a unique challenge.

They are the men and women of the Reserve Officers Training Corps.

Since President Bush's ultimatum ran out and missile and air attacks gave way to an invasion by ground troops, morale and commitment in ROTC have apparently remained constant.

"Regardless of the conflict, I'd say the cadets have maintained the same enthusiasm," Marine colonel J. Bruce Hulick said. Commander of the Philadelphia NROTC Consortium, which includes the unit at Penn, he maintained that the midshipmen in the program are as dedicated to NROTC now as they were when they joined.

Jose Valentin, an NROTC cadet, echoed Hulick's enthusiasm.

"We have a certain responsibility because we're going to be Navy officers when we graduate, and it's our duty from now," Valentin said.

Despite plans to transfer to the U.S. Naval Academy next year to pursue a career as a naval aviator, Valentin praised the ROTC program for fostering a close bond between cadets regardless of seniority -- something he expects he'll miss at Annapolis.

"I'm in support of any decision made by my commander-in-chief," he added.

Though students who are already enlisted in the National Guard or Reserve are liable to be put on active duty and deployed, contracted cadets in the ROTC program cannot be sent overseas until commissioned.

Though still a relatively remote possibility, ROTC cadet and Wharton freshman Michael Kirkman admitted that the prospect of danger is "always in the back of your mind," but explained that it's "something you have to accept" when training to become an officer.

"As a professional soldier, that's what you train for," said Army ROTC cadet and Penn College Republicans Chairman David Copley, a Daily Pennsylvanian columnist. "You go whether or not you support the war. It's your job."

And, on the whole, the Penn community seems to respect that, refraining from taking its disagreements with the policies of the commander-in-chief out on the cadets.

Mary Murphy, a Nursing junior and midshipman second class in NROTC, said she hasn't "really noticed anybody treating me differently."

"They told us to look out for that," she said, repeating that she has been left to pursue her naval ambitions unbothered.