Penn's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community is crossing its fingers that a new proposed policy will garner approval from the Board of Trustees. Last week, the University Council recommended that the University add language to its non-discrimination policy which would protect transgendered members of the Penn community. The policy "will result in the protection of a group of people that aren't currently covered in the University's non-discrimination policy," Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Center Director Robert Schoenberg said. "Having such policies raises people's awareness." LGBT Center Associate Director Erin Cross agreed that this amendment is a necessary one. "There is definitely a situation on campus which warrants this," Cross said. "When you walk down the street and pass someone, some immediately think, 'Is that a boy or a girl?' Some people don't fit that mold." Cross said that people who do not fit a mold of society "are much more susceptible to violence." Penn is one of the first universities to consider adding such language. The change was prompted by a 2001 City Council ordinance which amended the city's Fair Practices Code to include prohibition of discrimination on the basis of gender identity. "This is the law in Philadelphia," University President Judith Rodin said, adding that she will consider the Council's recommendation. The Office of the General Counsel has urged the University to amend the non-discrimination policy, but for the change to be approved, Rodin must present it to the Board of Trustees if she decides that it is in the University's best interest. Schoenberg is pleased by the policy push, and Cross echoed his sentiments. "I am really excited about it," she said. "I think this is a way that Penn is at the forefront and is interested in equality." Student reaction is also positive -- Allies Co-Chairwoman Aviva Moster said she was "ecstatic" about the policy recommendation. "I think it is wonderful and absolutely necessary," the College senior said. "It is a big and bold step for Penn to take -- I am not sure other universities would have taken it." "We don't have as many out and about transgender members of our community," Moster added. "They should be just as protected as other groups." If the policy is amended, however, the implementation may pose obstacles. Questions regarding roommate assignment to an individual with a perceived gender identity different from his biological sex have not been answered. "We are not going to anticipate the worst by having all sorts of dire predictions and concerns," Rodin said, adding that the University will work to solve them "if there is a set of issues that is complicated." In terms of housing, Moster said that "to make it a comfortable environment, a transgender person should be asked if he wants a single." Moster added that in the past, the University has handled transgender housing well, so a policy change should be no different. Schoenberg said he believes that through educating people and changing aspects of the Office of the Registrar, the policy will not cause significant problems, but instead, work to protect students. In addition, Schoenberg said, "As long as the toilet stalls are private, it is really a moot point." Schoenberg said the scope of the protection will "range from misunderstanding to verbal harassment to physical assault."