College senior Arshad Hasan, a member of the College Democrats, debates Wharton Ph.D. student Karl Russo of the College Republicans at a voting event. The two groups plan to get involved in the mayoral elections. [Anna Grafton/DP File Photo]

With the upcoming mayoral race heading toward a likely rematch between Mayor John Street and Sam Katz, the Penn College Republicans and Democrats are gearing up for a spirited campaign. Mayor Street's handling of the state of public education in Philadelphia schools will be a hotly contested issue, which many see as the deciding factor. "Street has not handled the school crisis in an acceptable manner," Penn College Republican Arthur Bochner said. "Sam Katz would bring a welcome change in cleaning up the Philadelphia schools." Member and former president of the Penn College Democrats Arshad Hasan agreed with Bochner's comment on the deplorable state of education in Philadelphia. "This is a city like no other city with education. No city in America has had a state impose on them a privatization of the school system." However, Hasan disagreed with Bochner on Katz's solution. "Sam Katz didn't present a compatible viewpoint with Philadelphia in the last election," Hasan said. "He kept pushing school vouchers when he knew most people were hostile to that idea." Another divisive campaign issue will center around the fiscal crisis Philadelphia is facing in a time of national economic recession. Street addressed the issue last Tuesday when he announced proposals for a series of budget cuts that would eliminate more than 1,600 city jobs by 2008. "I think the city budget problems are a result of Mayor Street's fiscal problems," Bochner said. Hasan disagreed. "Street has made some recent courageous moves to cut some of the fat out," he said. "National recessions just tend to hurt states and municipal areas more than the federal government." The election of Democrat Governor Ed Rendell could also play a role. Although Rendell is known for his ability to reach across party lines, his experience working with Street could give the current mayor an advantage. "Street and Rendell would have a smoother working relationship purely on the basis that they know each other well," Hasan said. Both the College Democrats and Republicans plan on affecting the outcome of the mayoral race through active participation both on and off campus. Each organization plans on volunteering in the downtown campaign headquarters of its respective candidate, as well as working the polls on Election Day and helping with voter registration drives. "We're looking forward to mobilizing as a body for a campaign right in our backyard," Hasan said. "We want to make an effort to get students involved to maximize both on-campus and off-campus activities." With turnout proving to be a deciding factor in the last mayoral election, Bochner and the College Republicans are working to mobilize voter participation. "We will be coordinating volunteer efforts on campus and in West Philly as well as passing out literature," Bochner said. "If people want a change, then they will turn out and determine the election."