The Penn heavyweight crew team is shown during its alumni race over Homecoming weekend. Penn's freshmen row this Sunday at Princeton. [Alex Sun/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Penn heavyweight crew team will send two freshman boats to Princeton on Sunday to compete in the Belly of the Carnegie Regatta.

Following a demanding autumn season, packed with some of the most prestigious regattas in the country, this weekend's event marks the end of the Quakers' fall competition.

"This weekend will be a fun way to end our fall season," heavyweight freshman coach Seth Brennan said.

With two evenly paced boats entered in the event, the Red and Blue will look to conclude their autumn campaign with a fast combined time.

"Splitting the guys up into two even boats should give us a good chance of winning," Brennan said.

The Penn heavyweight freshmen will look to add this Sunday to their already impressive list of results this season. After top-five finishes in their past two competitions, including the prestigious Head of the Charles Regatta, the Quakers freshman program enters this Sunday's race with well deserved confidence.

"We should do very well this weekend," Brennan said.

With six other Ivy League teams competing this Sunday, the Quakers rookies recognize the importance of another solid performance.

However, the Belly of the Carnegie may hold even greater significance to competitors that are new to the sport and not just to the Penn program. This weekend will be the first official competition for the novice rowers of the freshman squad.

Among others, Penn will trade strides with host Princeton, who recorded a top-five finish in the eights and a first-place finish in the fours at the Head of the Charles. Although Princeton's resume is intimidating, the Penn rookies remain determined to excel this weekend.

After completing their fall season in superb fashion, the Penn heavyweight freshmen hope this weekend's performance will allow them to enter their winter rest period with a good taste in their mouths.

*This article was edited at 6:38 p.m. on Monday, December 28, 2009.