David Montgomery speaks about his role as President and CEO of the Philadelphia Phillies and his days as a Penn student as part of the Fox Leadership Program. [Kien Lam/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Whe he was just an undergraduate liberal arts major at Penn, Monday's Lessons in Leadership speaker did not know what career path to take. He said he was "probably not specifically qualified to do anything, but ready to try anything."

Though this refrain may sound all too familiar to many Penn students, this tale came from David Montgomery, Philadelphia Phillies general partner, president and chief executive officer.

Addressing a fairly large, predominantly-male crowd in Logan Hall, Montgomery offered advice to students, drawing from his time at Penn, work experience and thoughts on leadership. He cited people skills as the defining characteristic of a leader.

"I try to be on a first name basis with as many people as possible," Montgomery said, adding, "If you're not actively listening, you're not fooling anyone."

He also stressed that "doing what you want to do is just a huge advantage in life. It produces such satisfaction in the workplace and leads to greater success at one's job."

Montgomery has exhibited many of these qualities in his own career. He has spent 31 years in the baseball industry in various capacities. Currently, Montgomery is a University trustee and is an active board member on several community action groups, such as Need in Deed and the Philadelphia Sports Congress. In addition, he serves on the Board of Directors of Major League Baseball Enterprises.

But Montgomery did not start out in such a prestigious line of work. Before being hired as a member of the Phillies sales department, Montgomery worked as a diaper delivery boy and as a high school baseball coach.

College of Arts and Sciences Dean Samuel Preston said students can relate to Montgomery's experience because "there is a great deal of anxiety about what comes next," and hearing success stories such as Montgomery's is one way to reduce that fear.

"It's comforting to see someone who's so successful," College senior and Student Director of the Fox Leadership Program Doug Gilman said, "and to see their progression and uncertainties."

Montgomery was the first of three speakers to take part in the Fox Leadership Program's Lessons in Leadership series. Through this program, students have the opportunity to meet and interact with a diverse group of Penn alumni leaders.