Often overlooked among downtown steakhouses, Ruth's Chris Steak House offers Midwestern-quality cuts. [Lung Tsai/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Living in Philadelphia, Penn students have their veritable pick of the litter when it comes to steak houses. However, the price is not always right, since not everyone wants to drop $50 on a tiny slab of meat that will leave them wanting more bang for their buck.

Well, fear not, steak lovers. For those who seek a finely crafted steak at a discounted price, there is a light at the end of Broad Street.

Sometimes overlooked because of its tongue-twister name and its unassuming exterior, Ruth's Chris Steak House is a hidden gem among the theaters and fine dining spots that light up Restaurant Row.

With its intimate service and rustic charm -- which features countryside wallpaper and even a barnyard painting or two -- Ruth's Chris has a Midwestern feel, appropriate because the Grade-A beef is shipped in all the way from Iowa, and the portions are served "New Orleans style," generous and glistening.

To start off the meal, you could attempt to tackle one of the six massive salads (around $6 each) on the menu, but make sure you save some room for the main course if you do. Otherwise, the soups are a good way to begin.

Choosing between the Lobster Bisque and the Louisiana Seafood Gumbo was a difficult choice, but after some help from our server, Ron, the gumbo ($7 for a cup, $8 for a bowl) did not disappoint. Replete with baby shrimp, hunks of beef and an extra kick, it was just enough to tide me over until the main course arrived.

And arrive it did. Still sizzling as it was placed in front of me, the filet was a perfect pink throughout, making good on the menu's promise. The supersized portion was worth all $29, but for people on a tighter budget and diet, a generous petite version is available for $25.

There are also options for those who are not such red meat fans. My companion had the North Atlantic salmon ($24), which was cooked tenderly all the way through and, although she did not take advantage, is available kicked up with cajun spices.

In addition, there is an equally-affordable surf and turf platter, with fresh lobster tails and a sizeable steak that will only set each person back about $25. Based on the way we watched the lobster steam as it arrived at a neighboring table, it is likely worth every penny.

The side dishes (around $5 each) are not to be overlooked either. We selected the savory creamed spinach au gratin and the scrumtrilescent mashed potatoes, which were oozing with delicious butter and garlic.

And for dessert, you can't go wrong with the chocolate sin cake ($7). Although it's one of the restaurant's smaller portions, its richness makes it a perfect way for two people to top off a meal that will make you think twice about getting up to leave.