The Market-Frankford EL stop at 34th and Market streets is one of the best places to start a journey downtown. Coupled with the various buses and trolleys, you can get almost anywhere.

Philadelphia Zoo

Eastbound EL to 15th Street. Board Westbound PHLASH at Juniper and Market streets. The Zoo is at 34th and Girard. Located in beautiful Fairmount Park, the Philadelphia Zoo is America’s first zoo, and it remains one of the nation’s best. The newest addition to the zoo is the Channel 6 Zoo Balloon, a 124-foot tall hot-air balloon that ascends to a height of about 400 feet. To put this in perspective, the Statue of Liberty is 305 feet high. The zoo features more than 1,800 animals, including the PECO Primate Reserve, a relatively new 2.5 acre facility. We recommend you take special looks at the white lions, the first exhibited in the United States, as well as the red pandas. Spend some time there, and don’t forget to find your own favorite animal.

Museum of Art

Eastbound EL to 15th Street. Board Westbound PHLASH at Juniper and Market streets. Yeah, yeah — we all know that Sylvester Stallone ran up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art in Rocky. But venture inside the PMA and you’ll be in for a treat. One of the top museums in America, it features an expansive impressionism section. Through November, the PMA is host to “Munakata Shiko: Japanese Master of the Modern Print.” The Museum holds free, themed events every Wednesday night, often including dance lessons and educational lectures. And when you get there you can run up the steps and jump around just like Sly.

Chinatown

Eastbound EL to 15th Street. Transfer to Broad Street Subway. Northbound Subway to Girard. Transfer to the Broad/Ridge Spur. Spur to the Chinatown stop. One of the cultural treasures of the city, Chinatown covers a six-block area and consists of mainly Asian restaurants and shops. The most distinguishing icon is the Friendship Gate, which was a joint project between Philadelphia and Tianjin, its Chinese sister city. You really can’t go wrong with any restaurant in Chinatown, as it seems like every single one is affordable. Be sure to check out K.C.’s Bakery, one of the best in town. Also located in Chinatown is the Trocadero, a great place to see a rock concert in the Philadelphia area.

Delaware Ave.

Eastbound EL to Spring Garden Street. Walk south to Delaware Ave. Delaware Avenue, located on what Philadelphians usually call the “wooderfront,” features some of Phillys finest clubs and other attractions. Whether you’re 17 or 22, you can always find a particular club for you, complete with bars, pounding techno music and plenty of dancing. Some of the major clubs on Delaware Avenue (called Columbus Boulevard south of Spring Garden Street) are Egypt, Chrome and Evolution. Also, there is the video game palace Dave & Buster’s, packed with the latest ways to spend your quarters. If for some reason you feel the need to leave Philly for the city of Camden in New Jersey, you can catch the RiverLink ferry at Penn’s Landing. The Camden waterfront features the Tweeter Center and the Camden Aquarium. But, please, just call the entire thing Delaware Avenue, even the Columbus Boulevard part. Trust us on this one.

Old City

Eastbound EL to 2nd Street. Old City extends in between Race and Walnut and 2nd and 7th streets. Old City features some of the more interesting and hip attractions in all of Philly. You can go the historic route, and see such places as Elfreth’s Alley, the oldest continually inhabited street in the country, or the Betsy Ross House. And, of course, the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall are not too far away. On the first Friday of every month, there is the aptly-named First Friday, where Old City turns into an art exhibition. And there’s the yearly Fringe Festival, held in September, where the best in Philly performing arts is showcased.

Italian Market

Eastbound EL to 8th Street. Transfer to the Southbound Route 47 Bus. Take the 47 to 8th and Washington. The Italian Market runs down 9th Street. Philadelphians do it. Tourists do it. And celebrities do it. You should probably do it as well. “It” is get a cheesesteak from Pat’s and Geno’s. Notice the lack of an “or” there. It is imperative that, on your first visit, you try both cheesesteak joints and spend a couple hours debating with your friends over which one is better. The rival cheesesteak joints are at 9th and Passayunk. Just north of the cheesesteak mecca is the Italian Market, an outdoor market full of the best in Italian food. You can pick up a quick bite here, along with pretty much anything imaginable at the variety of stores dotting Ninth Street. So drop by and fill up at this Philadelphia gem.

South Street

Eastbound EL to 15th Street. Transfer to the Eastbound PHLASH at Juniper and Market streets. Where do all the hippies meet? South Street! Or at least so goes the song “South Street” by the Orlons. While Hippies may not be congregating on South Street anymore, it’s definitely an interesting place to visit. While on the street, be sure to get a slice of pizza at Lorenzo’s, which doesn’t lie when it says it’s the best pizza on South Street. New to the strip is Retrospect, a vintage clothing store. And no trip to South Street would be complete without stopping by at Condom Kingdom, which sells, well, take a guess. There’s plenty more to do on South Street — something for everyone. So take a look around. Who knows? You might even find some hippies.

Sports Complex

Eastbound EL to 15th Street. Transfer to the Broad Street Subway. Southbound Subway to Pattison Avenue. If you’re an avid sports fan and just have to get to a baseball game, venture down to see the Phillies at Veterans Stadium. But be sure to do it soon, because by 2004 it will be nothing more than a parking lot and a fond memory. The Phillies and the Eagles currently play at the Vet, but the Eagles will move to Lincoln Financial Field in 2003 and the Phils will move to a new stadium in 2004. The First Union Center, built in 1996, is home to the Flyers and the 76ers. And, if you want some more nostalgia, you can see the last place a major Philly sports team won a title — the Sixers in 1983 — at the Spectrum.

Reading Terminal Market

Eastbound EL to 11th Street. Walk north to Filbert Street. The Reading Terminal Market is located at 12th and Filbert streets. The Reading Terminal Market is located in what used to be the terminal for the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. No, you can’t catch a train out of this Philly landmark anymore, but it is the place to find a variety of fresh foods and local flavors. You can get pretty much whatever you’re in the mood for, from chocolates to cheesesteaks to pretzels to sandwiches. It’s the perfect place for lunch if you’re ever in the area. Be sure to check out Braverman’s Bakery, an often-overlooked gem of the Reading Terminal. It’s one of the best bakeries in the entire city. And if you’re from the South, head to Delilah’s for soul food.

Kimmel Center

Eastbound EL to 15th Street. Transfer to the Broad Street Subway. Southbound Subway to Walnut-Locust. Home to the Philadelphia Orchestra as well as Peter Nero and the Philly Pops, the Kimmel Center is located on Avenue of the Arts (Broad Street). Opened in 2001 with a huge grant from Sidney Kimmel, the Kimmel Center — a.k.a. The Sid — is a great place to see a concert as well as an architectural marvel. You can come for music, or you can attend a free tour through the Kimmel Center, which takes you around the entire building. Student tickets are always discounted at the Center with your PennCard. College Houses also make frequent trips to the Center. So dress up, head down to Avenue of the Arts, and take in a show sometime.

Rittenhouse Square

Take any Eastbound Subway-Surface Route to 19th Street. Walk two blocks south to Walnut Street. You’ll see the park. While Penn’s David Rittenhouse Lab is a mess of 1950s architecture, Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse Square is a beautiful urban park. One of William Penn’s five original parks planned for the city, the park is crowded no matter what time you go. During the holiday season, the park is decorated with lights, and it features concerts and other public events throughout the year. Several shops and eateries surround Rittenhouse, which is one of the most fashionable addresses in the city. And if you’re looking for a world-class meal, Le Bec-Fin is just a few blocks east.

Institute of Contemporary Art

Located on campus at 36th and Sansom Streets. Founded in 1963, the Institute of Contemporary Art is a leader in showcasing, well, contemporary art. The ICA always seems to have an interesting exhibit by some of the top artists in the country. It is closed until September 5th, when four new exhibitions will open. One of them is the much–talked about Pictures, Patents, Monkeys, and More… On Collecting — an exhibit of collections and the art of collecting. Opening receptions are always free and open to the public. Exhibitions rotate frequently and are a great place to bring your parents. You owe it to yourself to stop by the ICA at least once this year.

Annenberg Center