The Nominations and Elections Committee is working to bring a student perspective to campus computing issues this fall.

The Provost's Office contacted the NEC this summer to request that the group elect at least one Penn student from each of the undergraduate schools to serve on the otherwise-faculty-dominated Computer Advisory Board.

Elected students will offer their opinions on the priorities and content of the information systems at Penn and work on issues involving Penn Portal, Advisor InTouch and Penn InTouch, among others.

The board will also draw on opinions from graduate school representatives and officials from Information Systems and Computing, Facilities and Real Estate and Business services.

"We're looking for students who have the ability to gather opinions from as many different corners as possible," said NEC Chairwoman Rebecca Silberman.

The NEC, in addition to running all student government elections, is responsible for appointing students to serve on various University Board of Trustees and other committees.

The group is currently offering applications on its Web site. Applications are due by 5 p.m. this Friday in Houston Hall room 207.

The NEC Executive Board will review the applications and hold interviews Saturday. The process ends Sunday when the board, along with select full-body NEC members, will contact the elected students and notify University administrators.

The selection process will be very similar to other committee nominations, according to NEC Vice Chairwoman of Education Ashley Braden.

Braden, a College senior and third-year NEC member, said this is the first time in her experience that a technology-oriented board has run elections through NEC.

"It's something new that the University thought of," Braden said.

Braden sited leadership as the primary criterion for the position.

"Leadership is always something we look for.... We want a student who will work well as an in-between for the students and the administration, students who are going to have a voice on the committee," Braden said.

Silberman, a College senior, also said that the "main priority is initiative. It's important that they speak up to adults... students who aren't intimidated by an adult atmosphere or [who] are at least knowledgeable on the subject."

Student representatives will become active on the Computer Advisory Board this semester.