Smokey Joe's, located on the 40th Street corridor, was one of several establishments that was closed for part of the summer for renovation. [Angie Louie/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Numerous campus restaurants and bars closed -- either temporarily or permanently -- over the summer, leaving the Penn community socially challenged for the summer months.

Favorite watering holes at Smokey Joe's on 40th Street and the Blarney Stone near 39th and Sansom streets both closed for renovations. And the famous four-inch thick sandwiches at Koch's Deli were also unavailable.

As for the Baskin Robbins on 39th and Walnut streets, there wasn't a cone in sight to stave off the heat.

In fact the ice cream shop will not be opening this fall.

According to Penn Marketing Manager of Business Development Anthony Sorrentino, the owner closed the operation for personal reasons.

The University is currently looking for someone to settle in the space. College Pizza and Philly Diner, both located adjacent to the site, have expressed interest.

"All of us wanted an ice cream place around 40th street so I think all of us felt that was a loss," Vice President of Facilities and Real Estate Omar Blaik said.

Smoke's closed on July 16, and for the first time in 25 years its circular bar was taken down and completely replaced.

"Twenty-five years of Penn students jumping up and down, and it needed a face lift," Smoke's co-owner Pat Ryan said.

Brother and co-owner Paul Ryan also joked that the bar needed "child-proofing."

Returning students have little to fear, though, as the bar reopened on Aug. 27.

The Ryans also rearranged pictures, had the walls redone, and reframed murals dating from the 1950s.

The overhaul was done to create more room and fulfill Paul Ryan's long standing dream of making Smoke's the best college bar in the country.

Both brothers expressed their pleasure with the changes.

"The place looks fabulous, it's the classiest bar in the Ivy League, that's for sure," Pat Ryan said.

However, the closing left some students pretty disappointed on their 21st birthdays.

College senior Tom Gilroy, who views Smoke's as "the place to be," regretted not being able to celebrate his 21st there. The bar closed just two weeks before his big day.

Blarney Stone co-owner George Flocco has a new bar of his own to showcase to students.

The Blarney Stone closed at the end of June to remodel, and reopened Aug. 17.

Blarney's now boasts a newly stained wooden interior downstairs and a brick wall decorating the back of a freshly hand built U-shaped bar area. Flocco said the re-worked ceiling makes the bar more appealing top to bottom.

Flocco also made improvements to the bar selection.

Four new draft beers were added and 11 more in the bottle, including Duff Beer. Larger 23-ounce drinks and a wider selection of liquors are also available.

Although Blarney's undergoes minor changes each summer, this year's renovations were the biggest in six years, according to Flocco. Next summer's plans include building an upstairs kitchen.

"Hopefully people will find [the bar] more enjoyable. It's a little nicer and a little roomier," Flocco said. "Hopefully some new people come and like the change and the people who have been here before like the change too."

Bob Koch, who prides himself on his familiarity with customers, also hopes to see old and new faces when the fall semester begins.

Koch, owner of Koch's Deli, briefly closed his restaurant last April after suffering injuries in a car accident. He reopened for Penn's graduation, but due to his physical condition, the death of his mother and scheduling conflicts with his servers, closed the deli May 16. It reopens Sept. 12.

Koch promised the same hours, menu and great service with a new crew of servers.

Koch himself is in better condition physically and emotionally, and is "taking it day by day."

He is rebuilding muscle in his injured arm, but may never regain full range of motion.

"I just won't dunk anymore," Koch said light-heartedly.

The store owner experiences less pain in his shoulder, but continues undergoing physical therapy for his leg and walks with a cane.

"I really miss the friendship and camaraderie with everyone and I mean that sincerely," Koch said.