Comedian Bill Cosby performs at an educational fundraiser held in Annenberg on Wednesday, June 19th. Money raised by the event will help support teachers. [Michael Lupoli/The Summer Pennsylvanian]

Last Wednesday, actor, comedian and Philadelphia native Bill Cosby hosted "An Evening with Bill Cosby: A Tribute to Support Rising Stars in Education -- an event presented by Penn's Graduate School of Education.

More than 940 Penn alumni, teachers, and students came to see Cosby perform at the Annenberg Center for Performing Arts.

He is "one of Philadelphia's favorite sons... [he] has kept us laughing and learning for more than 30 years," University President Judith Rodin said. "His character and creations have held a mirror up to ourselves... indeed it is fair to say that the world has been Bill Cosby's classroom."

Cosby -- who spoke for over two hours -- revealed his thoughts about education in America today mainly through telling stories about his experiences when he was in school.

He dedicated the evening to his sixth grade teacher Mary Nagle of Philadelphia's John Wister Elementary School.

During his speech, Cosby pointed out many aspects in the education system that are, in his view, wrong.

Cosby also ridiculed the President of the United States for not knowing his grammar by referring to one of President Bush's speeches where he said, "you misunderestimate us."

"I know they had a meeting with him after that... it's in the dictionary now -- white people put it in the dictionary," Cosby joked.

The former Temple University graduate added that these sorts of mistakes set a bad example for children.

Cosby -- who starred in The Cosby Show sitcom series -- also spoke about the influence of television on children's education. In particular, he talked about the Osbourne show.

"I listen to these children and what they have to go up against. They're up against the T.V. set," Cosby said. "Are [the Osbournes] on T.V. as some kind of family we are supposed to be?"

Cosby was also disappointed with the way politicians have become involved in the classroom. When he was in grade school, Cosby said that politicians had banned students from singing a particular song.

"What did our children ever do to a politician that politicians would want to do that?" Cosby asked.

However, Cosby also offered advice to teachers and future teachers in the audience.

Furthermore, he warned teachers not to be afraid of intelligent students that will challenge them.

"You teachers don't understand -- there's nothing like a kid that is brilliant that will come up against you," Cosby said.

Moreover, Cosby emphasized with teachers by offering words of encouragement to them as well.

"It's important for you guys to understand, you really have to believe in yourselves, you teachers," Cosby said.

This event officially inaugurated the establishment of the Tito Puente Scholarship Fund, which will help support the financial costs for Penn GSE students and their careers in Philadelphia schools. Approximately $1,063,000 has already been raised for the fund.

"We hope this is only the beginning," GSE Dean Susan Fuhrman said. "I'm looking forward to working with alumni, friends and members of the private sector to ensure that each goal continues to be met and that we develop new ways of bolstering resources for aspiring teachers."

In addition, a sweatshirt was auctioned at the dinner before Cosby's performance. It was sold for $2,500 -- enough money to support two and a half mentors.

Latin dance musician Tito Puente Jr. kicked off the event by performing his father's music. The event was held both in honor of the late Tito Puente's humanitarian spirit and Penn GSE students who pledge to teach.

While a few people left in the middle of Cosby's performance, many applauded his speech.

"What can you say about a man who sits there without paper and pen and can make a sentence -- he's demonstrating what it means to be educated," Dr. George Phillips (Coll.'67) said. "It takes a strong person to really say what really should be said."

GSE Financial CoordinatorRegina Cantave added that Cosby's speech was very down-to- earth.

"I thought his speech was wonderful. Bill Cosby speaks very poignantly, he's very easy to understand and he speaks right to the heart," Cantave said. "I think that's why America loves him the way we do because he is one of us."