Shot selection was the deciding factor in the Penn women's lacrosse team's 6-5 loss at Rutgers last night.

While the Quakers held possession for the majority of the game and got off a total of 29 shots, they could manage only five goals.

"We dominated the game -- but we just couldn't get the ball in the net," Penn sophomore Chelsea Kaden said.

The game against the Scarlet Knights was a crucial regional bout for the Red and Blue.

"This loss makes some of our wins less credible," Kaden said.

Rutgers has taken losses from both Delaware and Lafayette -- two teams that the Quakers have beaten this year.

At this point in the season, the 10-9 defeat of No. 7 Syracuse is the only big win that the Scarlet Knights boast.

"This was a huge game, and we should have won," Penn coach Karin Brower said.

"We had plenty of opportunities -- a lot of shots, but we did not capitalize."

In a situation familiar to the Quakers, the Knights started off the first half with a quick two goals.

"We've been taking too long to get into it," Penn junior goalkeeper Alaina Harper said. "We need to learn how to come out ready to play each game from the start."

When the Quakers decided they were ready to play, they came back to tie the matchup at 2-2.

But before the end of the half, they would allow three more unanswered goals.

The Red and Blue rallied to net three in the second half, tying it again at 5-5 with 15 minutes on the clock and a decent shot at victory.

But the only goal Penn allowed in the second half ended up costing them the game.

Rutgers' senior goalie Lauren Golotta crept up the field looking to make the clear. Once released, junior Crissy Book stepped up to meet her Rutgers' foe -- but the rest of the defense was slow to get set.

The pass was made downfield, and Harper found herself in a man-down situation in front of the cage.

Cali Wojdyla put it past the Penn netminder for a 6-5 lead with five minutes left to play.

After that, the Quakers were unable to rally for the win.

Notably, the Red and Blue's final goal deficit should not be mistaken for defensive error.

"Defensively, we did a nice job," Brower said. "We were able to consistently get the ball back when we needed it.

"It was our offense that didn't get the job done. We had way too many unforced turnovers -- stripped balls and bad shooting really cost us."

"It was so frustrating," Penn senior quad-captain Traci Marabella said. "Because it was clear that we were the better team on the field."

Scoring for the Red and Blue were Kate Murray with two goals, while Jenny Hartman, Lindsay Cassidy and Crissy Book were all good for one each.

The Red and Blue return to Ivy play when they travel to Hanover, N.H. to meet Dartmouth on Saturday.