Kevin Danaher would take you to Cuba if he could. He would ask you to look into the eyes of suffering Cuban children who are dying from Leukemia.

But the only thing he can do is ask students to question their own moral values when, according to Danaher, the only thing killing Cuban children is an American embargo.

Danaher spoke on his goal of creating a "local, green, environmentally sustainable economy" and a just world to an audience of almost 40 students and faculty at 3619 Locust Walk Monday afternoon. The talk was the last in the Fox Leadership Program's series on the politics of food.

Danaher is the director of public education for Global Exchange and a noted social justice activist. Global Exchange is a human rights organization that seeks to develop "environmental, political and social justice around the world."

Speaking about the American embargo with Cuba and countless other economic policies and corporations, Danaher argued that global policy promotes "money values" over "life values."

"The corporations determine how we work... what we eat," Danaher said, adding that "corporations can... create asthma and urban sprawl."

Danaher told the audience that if he could take the policymakers into poverty-ridden countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, he would make them "look into the eyes of those who are suffering."

"I held these kids in my arms. I watched them die," he said.

In his frequent travels around the world for his work, Danaher has promoted the cause of building "human bonds" and rejecting the "excuses for us murdering people who never did anything to us."

He told students to "learn from other societies' values" and rethink their own priorities.

Although most agreed with Danaher's arguments, some said they believe that the activism Danaher promoted would not always be effective.

"I think it's harder to change lots of the things he wants us to change," said Chuck Brutsche, associate director of the Fox Leadership Program.

"I don't know if I agree with everything he said but it certainly got you thinking," he said, adding that Danaher offers "a different perspective into corporate power."

Danaher argued that Americans measure "success as a quantitative measure of what you own," because of the tactics of large corporations.

"Corporations shape the hearts and minds of our children," he said.

Students said they found the talk particularly important in light of current events and supported Danaher's call for action.

"I thought the talk was very inspirational," said College senior Reshma Mehta, noting that the talk will "persuade a lot of people to stand up and take action."

Although Denaher has seen first hand many of the problems that face the poor nations of the world, he still retains his optimism.

"There's a whole big, beautiful world out there that we can make into a utopia," he said.