The Penn men's swimming team's 122-point loss to Harvard justified why the Crimson are the class of the Ivy League.

The Quakers were crushed by the six-time defending champions last weekend, 195-73.

The Crimson dominated every event of the meet. The only event that the Quakers won was the final 400 yard relay -- an event that Harvard elected to swim as an exhibition event.

Despite the loss, the Red and Blue were able to come out of the defeat with an optimistic outlook towards Championships.

"We accomplished a lot," Penn coach Mike Schnur said. "We had some people swim a lot better in this meet than they have all semester."

The Quakers had no expectations of winning heading into the meet, their goals were only to gain experience and earn faster times.

"There are no surprises," Schnur said. "They are a great team, and we were out there to get our own fast times.

"I was really pleased with a lot of the times."

The Quakers were led by team captain, senior Russell Zuckerman who was competing in the final dual meet of his collegiate career.

Zuckerman finished second in the 100-yard freestyle in 47.30 seconds and third in the 50-yard event in 21.83.

Penn sophomore Brendan Lang placed second in the 400-yard individual medley in 4:11.46. This was the fastest Lang has swum in a dual meet in his Penn career.

"Brendan is probably the best swimmer on this team right now," Schnur said.

Other swimmers also took advantage of the intensity of the competition.

"John Albeitz had the fastest meet of his life," Schnur said of his senior swimmer.

The Quakers will use the fast times they earned this weekend as further motivation as they train for the Ivy League Championships which are being held at the end of this month.

The swimmers will now begin to taper their workouts and look towards this meet that they have been focusing on all semester.

"They will start doing a lot more quality work outs and start resting," Schnur said.