Almost two weeks ago, Gov. Mark Schweiker presented his plan to reform Philadelphia Schools, breaking them into three tiers, with the worst performing schools transferred to the control of a private company, and even some of the best being placed under private supervision.

But in the days after Schweiker made his plan public, Mayor John Street has shown resistance to the plan. He has yet to schedule any meeting with state officials to discuss the issue.

Last week, he even set up office in the headquarters of the Philadelphia School District, which would be sold under the state's plan, as an act of defiance against a private takeover.

According to Schweiker spokesman Steve Aaron, the mayor's recent actions are confusing, especially because it was Street who originally asked for help ending the woes of the debt-ridden district.

"It's frustrating," Aaron said. "To end up now in a situation where the governor has put his very thoughtful proposal together and to have the mayor say that he will not negotiate on that proposal as it now stands is a bit frustrating."

For full coverage check tomorrow's Daily Pennsylvanian or log onto dailypennsylvanian.com.