[Jarrod Ballou/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Here's a quick test: Which of the following do you relate to Mexico?

A) The cute chihuahua that once exclaimed "Yo Quiero Taco Bell!" in the seemingly endless TV spots;

B) Spring break in Cancun;

C) Fajitas and enchiladas at Chili's and the salsa food station in the dining halls, or;

D) Muralist and painter Diego Rivera?

Well, according to my theory, if A, B and C sound like familiar Mexican cultural hallmarks -- but you've never heard about D before -- you might not be enjoying all that Mexican culture has to offer. Yes, we've proudly given Corona and margaritas to the world, but in the process of providing these and other party items, we also have developed a rich and colorful culture that most of the time just doesn't get the same publicity as our better known Mexican dishes and spring break destinations.

However, thanks to the wonderful Mexican art exhibition that is now on display at Penn's Arthur Ross Gallery -- located right next to the Fine Arts Library -- it is now easier to become familiar with the remarkable works of Mexican artist Diego Rivera and many of his colleagues.

"Travels in the Labyrinth," which is free to all Penn students, features the Mexican art works that were assembled by 1942 Wharton alumnus Harry Pollack during his multiple trips south of the border. The Pollack collection includes pieces by many of the most celebrated Mexican artists of the last century -- a veritable who's who of that includes works by Rufino Tamayo, David Alfaro Siqueiros, Jose Clemente Orozco, Juan Soriano and Jose Luis Cuevas among others.

This impressive collection has nonetheless a noticeable absence: works by the mythic and extraordinarily talented Frida Kahlo are not on display. This omission is in itself testament to the significance of Kahlo's works, which have become so expensive and sough-after by collectors around the world that they are extremely difficult to acquire.

Nonetheless, prospective museum-goers disillusioned by Kahlo's no-show should be encouraged by the fact that a glimpse of Diego Rivera's work might enrich and inform their understanding of Kahlo and her legacy. After all, the two artists were married for years, deeply influencing and cross-pollinating each other's art.

Rivera, Kahlo and many of their contemporaries succeeded not only in creating a distinctive and powerful style for 20th century Mexican painting. Through their colorful brush strokes they gave voice and value to oft-neglected aspects of Mexican life and culture. They contributed to the cause of the poor, the oppressed and the different by shedding light in the struggles of indigenous people, women and the working class. By doing so, they reinterpreted and redefined Mexican culture and heritage.

Just as you might discover in "Travels in the Labyrinth" that Mexican-inspired images do indeed go beyond the Taco Bell chihuahua's multimedia cameos, there is an endless list of cultural riches in Mexico that lie off the beaten path.

For example, if you decide to wander off the glitzy resort area in Cancun, a short road trip will take you to Valladolid, a Mexican village complete with a colorful market and colonial buildings. Likewise, should you leave the conference rooms of one of Mexico City's many hotels you could drive to the Blue House in the Coyoacan neighborhood, where Kahlo and Rivera lived and worked.

And it goes without saying that visiting a small, non-franchised Mexican restaurant might surprise you with flavors and spices wholly different from the usual Americanized fare.

These suggestions of non-mass-marketed cultural alternatives do not intend in any way to denigrate Chili's offerings or Cancun's scenic beauty and frantic nightlife. After all, Chili's menu is quite appetizing, and it is difficult not to fall for the adorable Taco Bell chihuahua.

But you might discover that by complementing these staples of Mexican-inspired pop-culture with the lesser known offerings of authentic art, cuisine and leisure, you might get a much more comprehensive and fulfilling picture of Mexico and its people.

Whether a devoted follower of the chihuahua, a passionate of great 20th century art or both, the Arthur Ross Gallery's show seems like the perfect place to start, continue or expand a promising journey into the rich and colorful labyrinth of Mexican culture.

Frederico Sanchez is a sophomore International Relations major from Guadalajara, Mexico.