Equipped with their highest ranking in Rudy Fuller's four-year tenure as Penn men's soccer coach, the Quakers (3-2-1) are ready to kick off their Ivy League schedule versus Cornell on Saturday at Rhodes Field.

The Red and Blue have soared to a No. 7 ranking in the Mid-Atlantic region -- up from No. 9 a week ago -- on the heels of consecutive victories over Temple and Drexel.

In last week's victories, the Quakers' offense was led by the emergence of a pair of freshmen, Joe Klein and Stephen Kroculick -- the latter of whom filled in for injured midfielder Louis Lazar -- and veteran goal-scoring machine Sam Chamovitz.

Chamovitz, a senior tri-captain, was recognized as Philadelphia Soccer Seven Player of the Week after scoring a goal in each of last week's matches.

As they begin the Ivy League campaign, the Red and Blue will rely on the continued strong play of their freshmen and the goal-scoring capability of Chamovitz in an attempt to build upon Penn's early-season success.

Last season, the Quakers dropped their opening Ancient Eight match to the Big Red, 4-2, beginning a disappointing season that would have the Red and Blue struggle to a 1-5-1 record in league competition. The lone Ivy victory, against Harvard in the season finale, was Penn's first since 1997.

After this season's auspicious start, however, it seems that the Quakers might improve upon their Ivy League record this year.

And the Quakers expect themselves to win, as well.

"This weekend, the Ivy League season opens at Rhodes Field," Lazar said. "We don't lose at Rhodes. We won't lose."