Mark Schweiker was sworn in as Pennsylvania's 44th governor on Friday in a ceremony on the steps of the state capitol in Harrisburg.

John Flaherty, chief justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, administered the oath to Schweiker at 2 p.m. He fills the vacancy left by Tom Ridge, who will start his new job today as head of the new federal Office of Homeland Security.

President Bush announced Ridge's appointment to the cabinet-level post during a speech to a joint session of Congress on Sept. 20.

Though Friday's ceremony displayed the traditional pomp and circumstance of any inauguration, it was also marked by a somber tone.

"It was lower key and more subdued given the circumstances," Schweiker's spokesman Ron Ruman said.

In Schweiker's inaugural address -- his voice cracking with emotion at times -- he called on Pennsylvanians to remain patient in the days ahead as the United States continues to take action against terrorism.

"Our sense of security is shaken, but we are resilient," Schweiker said. "We are in pain, but we refuse to waver. We are angry, but we are patient in our resolve."

Schweiker also praised the thousands of Pennsylvanians who have given their time, and in some cases their lives, as a result of the Sept. 11 attacks. Particularly, Schweiker singled out the passengers on United Airlines Flight 73, who are believed to have brought down the hijacked plane in western Pennsylvania.

"Good and decent people like Jeremy Glick, Tom Burnett, Rodd Beamer and Mark Bingham," Schweiker said. "In the skies over Pennsylvania, they chose freedom over fear, and confrontation over personal safety. They paid with their lives to save hundreds, perhaps thousands, of others."

Schweiker also announced new security measures that will be put into place in the aftermath of the attacks. Specifically, he mentioned 100 new state police officers and the stationing of national guardsmen and state troopers in Pennsylvania airports.

"As we speak, National Guard and state police are taking their posts at airports around the state," Schweiker said.

But the new governor also devoted a large portion of his speech to address state issues unrelated to the transfer of power or security. And he made it clear that resolving the problems of Philadelphia's debt-ridden public schools was at the top of his list of priorities.

"Our schools are among the best in the nation, but we're going to work hard to make them better," Schweiker said. He then singled out Philadelphia, saying the city "must step up to the plate."

At the end of this month, Schweiker will receive a report from Edison Schools, Inc. -- a for-profit education company hired by Ridge to develop a solution for the Philadelphia district -- on whether to privatize the area's schools. After he receives the analysis, the state will have one month to reach an agreement with the city, or the state will assume control of the district.

Originally, the analysis was to be presented at the end of September, but Schweiker asked for a month-long extension to become better acquainted with the issue.

According to Ruman, the new governor is taking the time to develop a coherent strategy for how to proceed on the issue of privatization.

"He hasn't spelled out specifics yet and that's why he asked for an extension," Ruman said.

However, according to Penn Political Science Professor Henry Teune, Schweiker's ultimate decision on Philadelphia schools will be colored by the economic downturn that has been accelerated by the September attacks.

"What happens is that if this were 18 months ago, you would have had a much more interesting conversation," Teune said. "But now the taxes coming into the state aren't that robust."