A month after the terrorist attacks, business at Philadelphia International Airport is returning to normal -- for the most part.

Clearly, some things have changed. Police and National Guardsmen now swarm through terminals, and lines for the metal detectors are far longer than they ever were before.

But travel life seems to have returned to some degree of normality. Luggage is again piled in front of curbside check-in desks. Travelers wait in long lines for tickets. And most people say that they are not nervous about getting on a plane, especially following the recent revamping of safety procedures during the past month.

Following last month's attacks, the Federal Aviation Administration ordered an unprecedented ground halt, canceling all flights in the United States. Though the order was lifted the next day, airports have been steadily increasing security over the past month.

On the whole, passengers say they have no problem with the increased security.

Don Durkee, traveling to Norfolk, Va., said that presence of troops in airports and greater number of police was a comforting sight.

"I think it's a good idea at this point," Durkee said. He added that he only had to arrive "the standard two hours" before boarding his flight.

And Bill McClellan, on his way to Greensboro, N.C., said he feels such measures have become necessary.

"It's to be expected, I think," McClellan said.

One woman who had just flown in from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., said that she would like to see even more safety measures.

"I think [the heightened security is] fantastic," the woman said. "I think they need more."

However, not all passengers were as understanding of the tight security. Vladimir Novik, who was on his way to Cedar Rapids via Chicago, said that while he understood the increased police and military presence, the long lines were a hassle.

"It's good, but this is a disaster because you have the same line upstairs" for the metal detectors, Novik said.

Jack Mann, a Canadian traveler on his way back to Toronto, applauded the new safety measures, but said he thought the airport should have increased its staff to make the lines move more smoothly.

"I guess it's necessary," Mann said. "I just wish they would put more people on so you could get through faster."

But most agreed that the wait was worth the extra protection. Eric Guzik, who was flying to Charlotte, N.C., said that his fellow passengers needed to realize that security was a much greater necessity now.

"It's not a hassle," he said. "People just need to understand we have to do it to be better protected."

And Peter Lubin, one of the only fliers in Philadelphia who admitted to being "scared" yesterday, questioned how any measure implemented for the good of the passengers could be bad.

"It's a good thing," Lubin said. "If it's for your own safety, it's a good thing."

On the whole, the masses of troops and policemen patrolling the airport seemed to comfort travelers, as almost no one said that they were afraid to fly yesterday -- even in light of America's recent military strikes on Afghanistan.

However, a few admitted having second thoughts. Novik, for one, said that he was apprehensive, but had to travel yesterday.

"It's a business trip, so I really have no other choice," Novik said.

But Candy Nardini, another business passenger who had just flown in from Washington, said that she wasn't concerned about flying any more than she normally is.

"I practically fly for a living," Nardini said. But she did add that the heightened security "is fine with me."