From donation tables in Houston Hall to Greek coffeehouses, Penn students have already collected over $15,000 to help the relief efforts in New York and Washington following last week's deadly terrorist attacks.

The campus-wide initiative is being coordinated through Change for Change -- a charitable organization that raises money for community projects through the collection of loose change -- and will hold various fundraisers across campus over the next two weeks to send aid to those affected by the tragedy.

On Thursday night, Sigma Delta Tau and Alpha Chi Omega raised nearly $5,000 at a downtown philanthropy event, much of which will be given to Change for Change. And yesterday -- as the first official Change for Change event -- Sigma Alpha Epsilon hosted a coffeehouse that raised $1,500.

"So many groups on campus are interested in philanthropy and do not always know where to give the money," Undergraduate Assembly Chairwoman Dana Hork said. "This way we can coordinate the efforts."

Hork, who is the founder of Change for Change, said the members of the Sphinx Senior Society decided to begin the campus-wide initiative for the relief efforts in order to maximize the effectiveness of the various fundraisers going on around campus.

"As a campus we can make one big meaningful donation," Hork said. "As a community of leaders, it is something we decided to do and groups are continually joining the effort."

Four of the five student government branches -- the Undergraduate Assembly, Social Planning and Events Committee, Student Activities Council and the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education -- have joined the coalition as well as various other student groups, from the Panhellenic Council to UTV-13.

"I hope groups think of Change for Change as Penn's charity," Hork said. "We are hoping more groups will contact us this week and next week."

Groups across campus have been supporting the relief effort, which includes everything from selling spirit ribbons at No Place Like Penn's Grill `n' Chill to placing donation cups at every table during Friday's Activities Day on Locust Walk.

In addition, the UA will keep a table open in Houston Hall today through Friday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. for the next two weeks, where students can donate money for Change for Change and receive information about various volunteer efforts. Civic House members will help man the table, where students will also sell spirit buttons in remembrance of the victims of the terrorist strike.

Last Friday, Penn's Department of Human Resources set up a booth in Houston Hall, successfully raising $7,800 for the Red Cross.

The relief effort will continue for two weeks, at which point Change for Change will look to find another organization to sponsor. Hork said the program will continue to operate throughout the year.

"While there is this two week push, we hope to emphasize the idea of charitable giving throughout the year," Hork said. "Change for Change is an ongoing effort."

Recipients of the program's efforts have in the past included St. Mary's Family Respite Center, Parents and Children against Drugs and the University City Hospital Coalition. And the program has expanded to other college campuses, including Amherst College.

"My goal is that more college campuses will become interested in this program," Hork added. "College campuses all over can come together to make an impact and raise funds for causes in their areas."