The School of Social Work announced last week that Richard Gelles has been appointed Interim Dean of the School of Social Work.

Ira Schwartz, 56, had served as dean since 1993. In July, he announced that he would be vacating his post this fall to become provost across town at Temple University.

At the time of Schwartz's announcement, Provost Robert Barchi said he hoped an interim dean would be named by the end of August. Gelles was named to the position Aug. 30 and formally took over last Saturday.

A national search committee has not yet been organized to find a permanent replacement for Schwartz, though Barchi said he anticipated a committee would be named early this semester.

Barchi praised Gelles' accomplishments both as an academic and as a leader.

"Dr. Gelles is internationally recognized for his work," Barchi said. "Some of his earlier work is really the most referenced work in the field... He's had considerable administrative experience as well."

Schwartz recruited Gelles to the School of Social Work in 1998. Gelles previously served in several administrative positions, including as the dean of arts and sciences at the University of Rhode Island.

"I really like being a faculty member," Gelles said, but added, "I also feel the school has established a momentum and it is important not to slow that down."

Barchi said that the process finding an replacement dean can vary.

"It may well be that the dean announces a year ahead of time he is stepping down," he said. "In this case, of course, Ira wasn't expecting to move over as provost, but having made that decision, had to do it in a very short period of time, so we need someone to step into his place in the interim."

After Schwartz's resignation, Barchi and University President Judith Rodin met with and consulted faculty from the School of Social Work about about potential leadership before selecting Gelles.

The national search for a permanent dean will take more time, according to Barchi.

He said a search committee would "help us in the school to decide on future directions, and the areas of focus for the school itself that would set the stage for a search, and then... constitute that search."

Currently, there are several other schools of social work seeking permanent deans. Such competition could complicate the search process, though Gelles was hopeful a dean would be found as early as next September.

For the time being, Gelles will take on additional administrative duties, but continue some of his previous work as a senior faculty member.

"I haven't dropped my teaching, so I still get to do the things I did before that I liked," Gelles said. "I think it's workable."

Daily Pennsylvanian staff writer Steve Brauntuch contributed to this story.