Penn men's lacrosse coach Marc van Arsdale has announced his resignation effective August 15, marking the end of a five-year tenure.

Van Arsdale leaves after coaching the Quakers to a 27-39 overall record and a 10-20 Ivy League mark from 1997-2001.

"It's a combination of family and working conditions that probably tipped the balance to go back there," van Arsdale said. "The thing I really want to impress upon... the kids in the program here, is that this was a chance to go to something a little bit better, rather than look to move from something that wasn't good."

The place van Arsdale will be going back to is Charlottesville, where he will replace Chris Colbeck as the head assistant coach on Dom Starsia's staff at Virginia. Van Arsdale was a Cavaliers assistant coach from 1991-1996, for the first two years under former Virginia head coach Jim Adams and the last four years under Starsia.

"On the professional side, we have a real good relationship there," van Arsdale said of his friendship with Starsia. "But it extends beyond that. Our families are real close friends, and that has continued since I've come up here."

Van Arsdale will serve as Virginia's offensive coordinator, and will be heavily involved in all aspects of the school's program, according to the Virginia Athletics website.

A search for van Arsdale's replacement at Penn has already begun, as this is a critical time in the recruiting process for next year's incoming freshmen. Van Arsdale is not a formal participant in the search, but has offered his help in other ways.

"I offered myself if they need someone to talk to about these candidates, as I am still someone who has a real deep concern about where this program is going over the next few years," van Arsdale said. "I'm certainly partial to one of the people who I'm sure will be a candidate, and that is Mike Murphy, the assistant here, who I feel really strongly about."

The members of the team are also partial to Murphy, as a number of them have stated that they would like to see him promoted as well.

"The team would like to see our current assistant coaches stay on and take a bigger role," junior attacker Scott Solow said, "i.e., Mike Murphy becoming head coach and Doc [assistant coach Brian Dougherty] staying as one of the assistants."

But even with such a substitution, the Quakers will still have to deal with van Arsdale not being a part of the program any longer.

"[The team] had no idea that coach van [Arsdale] would resign," 2001 graduate Adam Solow said. "It caught us all totally off guard. However, I can understand and respect his decision. I wish him all the best at Virginia."

And for those who are still playing next season, like Adam's brother Scott, the impact is even greater.

"Players are of course upset that he will be leaving for Virginia," Scott said. "He taught everyone on the team something about the game and was respected by all."

Despite the departure of van Arsdale, many of the Quakers believe that the team will still be able to continue on a positive path.

"As long as coach Murphy and coach Doc are still there, there will not be a major disturbance in team chemistry," former Quakers attackman/midfielder Kevin Cadin said. "Coach van [Arsdale] is a big loss, but there still remains a solid core of players and coaches to keep the team moving in the right direction."

Van Arsdale agreed, and also felt that leaving the team would be a loss on his part as well.

"I really liked the group of guys that we had, and I feel really strongly about them," van Arsdale said. "To step away from them is not at all an easy thing to do."