Nearly six months after Wharton announced the creation of Wharton West -- its San Francisco satellite campus -- they have announced that the location will be on the top floor of the Folger Building. Amidst the historic location, this site marks a new trend towards the globalization of higher education.

The landmark building will embody the same historic tradition that has been an excellent base for Wharton's success. Officials say its prime location in the heart of San Francisco's financial district and proximity to the Silicon Valley will provide numerous opportunities.

Given the growing size of California's economy and the technological advances the area can offer, Wharton West, despite potential risk, will open up new possiblities for students and faculty. Wharton, for that, we praise you.

Recently, Wharton has been dabbling in international alliances, such as INSEAD -- the French business school -- allowing students to use campuses on three continents. Other Ivies have launched similar partnerships. Although Wharton's expansion is consistent with the trend among business schools to establish such alliances, it is the oldest and most prestigious school to set up a satellite campus in the U.S.

Yet, Wharton West will likely provide few tangible options for undergraduates, other than the fact that they will be a Wharton money-maker. For now, INSEAD will not offer undergraduate programs, and only a small number of internships will be available.

But this global growth may have an effect here at home. Undergraduates will lose the chance to learn under some of the most sought after professors -- who are already traveling considerable amounts. Now they will be teaching in Singapore or conducting research in California.

There may not be a better place to house Wharton's future than in the old Folger's Coffee Building, but they should remember one thing -- exert great caution so that school priorities do not get lost between the two campuses.