3af089e394c87453
Female Athelete of the YearDiana CaramanicoThree time Ivy and Big 5 POY and all-time leading scorer in Ivy League and Big 5.

On April 30, 1999, Kelly Greenberg was hired to take the helm of the Penn women's basketball team. On July 13th of that same year, quarterback Gavin Hoffman announced plans to leave Northwestern to take the behind-center helm of the Penn football team. Two years later, Penn sports have reaped the benefits of these two individuals in a big way. In their second seasons at Penn, one coached her team to the program's first-ever Ivy League title. The other quarterbacked his team to the program's eighth outright Ivy League title. And for their respective accomplishments, the sports editors of The Daily Pennsylvanian's 116th and 117th boards have chosen to honor Gavin Hoffman as the 2000-2001 Male Athlete of the Year and Kelly Greenberg as the 2000-2001 Coach of the Year. Greenberg's squad is also honored as the best team at Penn. The DP recognizes the Penn women's basketball team as the 2000-2001 Team of the Year for capturing the Ivy title on the strength of a perfect 14-0 Ancient Eight record. And leading the charge to Ivy supremacy was senior Diana Caramanico, who captained the Quakers to the NCAA Tournament while shattering record after record to complete her tremendous basketball career at Penn. For the third straight year, Caramanico has been named the Female Athlete of the Year. The DP will present each of its award winners with a plaque to commemorate this honor. o Traditionally a home of bruising running backs who were satisfied with three yards and a cloud of dust, Ivy League football has undergone nothing short of a revolution over the past few seasons. And at the forefront of this change is The Daily Pennsylvanian 2000-01 Male Athlete of the Year, record-setting Penn quarterback Gavin Hoffman. The junior led the Quakers (7-3, 6-1 Ivy League) to their 11th Ivy crown this fall on the strength of his magnificent right arm. In his second season at Penn, Hoffman shattered school single-season marks in passing yardage (3,214 yards), touchdowns (24) and completions (272) en route to winning the Bushnell Cup as the Ivy League's Most Valuable Player. Week after week the Quakers signal caller wowed crowds with his ability to orchestrate unbelievable comebacks. Against Brown, Hoffman threw for a school-record 476 yards, as the Quakers came back from 18 points down with less than 5:00 remaining to pull out a 41-38 victory. A week later at Princeton, the junior passed for 313 yards as Penn overcame an 18-point, first-half deficit to win, 40-24. And a week after that, on Homecoming Weekend, Hoffman aired it out for 394 yards and the winning touchdown, as the Quakers eked out a 36-35 victory over Harvard. On the year, Hoffman completed an astounding 70 percent of his passes, and hooked up with eight different Penn receivers for touchdown strikes. Hoffman is certainly a deserving choice for the DP's Male Athlete of the Year award. The best may be yet to come, however -- Hoffman will be back for one more go-round in September. o In 1989, Kelly Greenberg captained the La Salle women's basketball team to a 28-3 record and a Big 5 and Atlantic 10 title. A decade later, the Philadelphia native made a triumphant return to the City of Brotherly Love. After spending 10 years as an assistant at Rhode Island, George Washington and Holy Cross, Greenberg came back to the city she grew up in to repeat her Philly magic. Hired to replace Julie Soriero as the head coach of the Penn women's basketball team, Greenberg has completely turned around the Penn program in just two short years. After leading the Quakers to their first winning record in nine years and earning Big 5 Coach of the Year honors for the 1999-2000 season, Greenberg went even further this year. She coached the Red and Blue to a team-best 22 wins en route to their first-ever Ivy League championship. In two short years, the Penn women's basketball team went from an Ivy also-ran to an Ivy power. For the second straight year, the DP is proud to anoint Kelly Greenberg as Coach of the Year. o At the beginning of last season, there was only one goal. After finishing second to Dartmouth in the 1999-2000 Ancient Eight race, the Penn women's basketball team had its eyes set on only one thing going into the 2000-2001 campaign. They wanted the Ivy League title more than anything. Senior captains Diana Caramanico and Erin Ladley wanted it. So did starters Tara Twomey, Jennifer Jones and Julie Epton. So did Jewel Clark, Jackie Froatz, the women on the bench nicknamed the "Chargers" and the entire coaching staff. On February 24, everyone's wishes came true. The Quakers completed their mission. Lavietes Pavilion was the place. Harvard was the victim. 62-57 was the score. The feeling? Indescribable. For the first time ever, the Penn women's basketball team could call themselves Ivy champs. And the most amazing part was how they got there. After a 1-5 start, Penn bounced back to win a program-record 21 straight games -- including a 14-0 sweep through the Ivies -- culminating with a Palestra-finale, 78-69 victory over Princeton. With the Ivy title came the ensuing NCAA berth and a spring break in Lubbock, Texas. One hundred Texas Tech points later, the Quakers came crashing down to Earth. But competing at the national level is something the 2000-2001 Daily Pennsylvanian Team of the Year wouldn't mind getting used to. o What can be said about women's basketball senior co-captain Diana Caramanico? She's all-Penn, all-Ivy and all-Big 5. For four years, she has defined women's basketball at Penn. She's been dominant and unstoppable. And she is the greatest women's basketball player ever to put on a Penn jersey -- hands down. This year, she became the all-time scoring leader in the Ivy League and the Big 5 -- this coming a season after she did the same for Penn. In addition to amassing the most points in Quakers history, she also owns the all-time mark in steals and rebounds and is second all-time in blocks. This year, she was honored with the Ivy League and Big 5 Player of the Year distinctions for the third straight season. Finished? Not quite. Most important of all, Diana Caramanico led her team to its first-ever Ivy League championship in dominant fashion. For this incredible list of accolades, the DP is proud to announce Diana Caramanico as the Female Athlete of the Year -- again. o Honorable Mention Male Athlete: Mike Fickell, wrestling; Chris May, baseball; Yoshi Nakamura, wrestling. Female Athlete: Runa Reta, women's squash, Kelly Szczerba, volleyball; Anna Wilson, gymnastics. Coach: Michael Dowd, women's tennis; Mike Schnur, swimming; Bill Wagner, sprint football. Team: Football, Sprint Football, Women's Tennis.