Drexel University freshman Brien Kivlen ended his own life yesterday morning by jumping from the roof of the Sheraton at 36th and Chestnut. (Rachel Julis/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

A Drexel University freshman ended his own life yesterday morning by jumping from the roof of the Sheraton University City Hotel.

Brien Kivlen, an 18-year-old student at Drexel's Business School, was found dead at approximately 5:45 a.m. in the hotel's outdoor parking lot, located near 36th and Chestnut streets.

"The death of Brien Kivlen is tragic to everyone at Drexel," Drexel Dean of Students Dianna Dale said in a statement. "As a community, we mourn the loss of this bright young man."

According to Penn Police Chief Maureen Rush, a passerby stepped into the Sheraton -- which is owned by Penn -- to alert hotel officials that something had fallen from the roof.

Members of the housekeeping staff checked the parking lot and found Kivlen's body.

Both University Police and the Philadelphia Police were called, and Kivlen was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kivlen's body was taken immediately to the Philadelphia Medical Examiner's Office.

Members of the University Police and Philadelphia Police Southwest Unit -- which is handling the investigation -- declined to comment on the nature of Kivlen's death because they had not yet received reports from the medical examiner.

But according to Jeff Moran, a spokesman for the Medical Examiner's Office, Kivlen sustained "multiple injuries" and in the end his death was "ruled a suicide."

Moran would not comment further on the nature of the injuries.

While authorities are unclear as to how Kivlen obtained access to the hotel's roof, Rush said he had a good knowledge of the building's layout.

"Although [Kivlen] was not living [at the Sheraton] or checked in as a guest, he was living there over three weeks ago, and he had lived there for a period of time," said Rush, who is also Penn's interim vice president for public safety.

Due to housing problems, Drexel had placed some of its students temporarily at the hotel.

"I've spoken to Brien's family and extended the deepest sympathies on behalf of Drexel's students, faculty and staff to his family and friends," Dale said.

Members of Penn's administration have already spoken with Dale to offer sympathy and support.

"We gave her our condolences, and [University President Judith Rodin, Provost Robert Barchi] and I wanted to let them know that anything we could do to help as neighbors we'd be delighted to do," Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said.

"Everyone over there is devastated," she said.

McCoullum noted that some students at both Penn and Drexel have a hard time adjusting to college life, but emphasized that there are many resources available to them.

"The demands of academic life can be very difficult for some students and we know that the end of the year can be overwhelming," McCoullum said.

"There are a number of resource offices on the Penn campus that are available to Penn students, and frankly, we've offered support to Drexel students and any other community members who'd like to come in," she added.

Campus services include Counseling and Psychological Services, the Psychiatric Emergency Evaluation Center at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and the Reach-A-Peer line.

"We have absolutely superb peer help and peer comforters," McCoullum said.

Penn has not seen a student suicide since March 2000, when then-College junior Justin Finalle was found dead in his home in DuBois, Pa.