The Kappa Sigma and Psi Upsilon fraternities will be forced to go dry for one and two years, respectively, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Director Scott Reikofski said yesterday. The two Locust Walk fraternities have been issued punishments for several violations of University policy. Kappa Sigma and Psi Upsilon were found in violation of the University's Alcohol and Drug policy, the Code of Student Conduct and the policy on Recognition and Governance of Undergraduate Social Fraternities and Sororities. Additionally, Kappa Sigma was found to have violated fire safety regulations. Psi Upsilon, which is located in the Castle on Locust Walk, received a formal copy of a two-year probationary agreement last Wednesday, Reikofski said. Kappa Sigma was served with a similar one-year probationary agreement Wednesday when the fraternity was first notified of the investigation's findings. The agreement also mandates fire safety programs for the fraternity. Psi Upsilon President Brad Scott said that he stands behind "an open letter to the whole university" that the fraternity composed and delivered to OFSA. The letter admits that a February 11 event was in violation of University policy and apologizes to the University community. "More importantly, we intend to become proactive in taking steps that will ensure that in the future, all actions taken by our brotherhood reflect our standards and goals," the letter read. Kappa Sigma President Samuel Holliday did not return repeated phone calls for comment last night. An Office of Student Conduct investigation found Psi Upsilon "responsible for an unregistered party at which large amounts of hard alcohol were served to numbers of underage undergraduates," Reikofski wrote in a statement. "The service of alcohol occurred wholly without precautions or supervision, creating a high risk environment." Reikofski said the violations occurred at the February 11 party, after which an underage guest was kept overnight at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for excessive alcohol consumption. A similar investigation of Kappa Sigma uncovered underage alcohol consumption in the house, destruction of personal property and violation of various fire safety measures such as fire extinguisher expulsion. The fraternity's violations, around the time of spring break, did not happen at a party, according to Reikofski. "A lot of it happened after a party and the next day," he said, adding that OSC and OFSA were notified of the issue by University Police, who had been called to the 3701 Locust Walk house when a fire alarm went off. Psi Upsilon -- located at 36th Street and Locust Walk -- accepted its probationary agreement, which requires the fraternity's house to go dry and mandates several educational programs and social restrictions. Kappa Sigma's probationary agreement is similar in nature. While Reikofski said that Psi Upsilon has accepted the agreement without disputing the broader findings of the investigation, Kappa Sigma has yet to do so. The fraternity is still meeting with Reikofski to discuss the agreement. Reikofski noted that the probationary agreements are consistent with agreements made with other chapters in the past for similar violations. He also emphasized the agreements' focus on education. "There's a number of educational kinds of things to try to help change the attitudes and the culture of the house so that they are aware of the way things are supposed to be," he said. "In some ways the punishment needs to be punitive," Reikofski added. "But I really prefer for it to be educational too." Reikofski developed the agreements with the two fraternities' national headquarters and alumni and then discussed the matter with the fraternity members. InterFraternity Council President Mark Zimring said that while the recent infractions are not condonable, they should not overshadow the vitality and contributions of the Greek community. "Unfortunately, organizations occasionally engage in behavior that is not representative of the values and principles of fraternity life," he said. "When this occurs, the InterFraternity Council believes it is imperative that steps be taken to correct abuses. "I have every confidence that both fraternities will work with their national organization, the InterFraternity Council, their alumni and the University to ensure future achievement and success at Penn," the College junior added. Reikofski echoed Zimring's sentiment. "Penn is committed to supporting the fraternity system but needs to address negative behavior that overshadows the vast amount of good that the chapters and their individual members do," Reikofski wrote.