After the Penn women's crew team's Homecoming activities culminated on Saturday with the Alumnae Day Regatta, the Quakers' freshman rowers traveled to Princeton on Sunday for the Belly of the Carnegie. The Red and Blue freshmen ended their fall season by finishing eighth and 12th in this novice-only race. The Belly of the Carnegie is structured differently from a normal race. The top 16 freshman rowers from each school are divided evenly into two boats. The combined time is then taken to determine a winning team. "We were 1:20 closer to the Princeton team this year than we were last year," Penn novice coach Scott Belford said. "This is very impressive because Princeton is generally the measure of potential medal winners." This year's Red and Blue freshman class has plenty of potential, and Belford hopes to build on their much-needed experience during grueling indoor practices this winter. "Indoor training is much more rigorous than any training these girls have experienced before," Belford said. "This will help to build their mental toughness." This spring, the Red and Blue freshmen believe they have a realistic chance to be in the Eastern Conference Grand Sprints Finals. A Penn team has not had this opportunity in a number of years. "[Regardless of] what they accomplish this spring," Belford said, "they will definitely make contributions to the women's varsity team as sophomores, juniors and seniors." In other news, Barb Kirch, head coach of the Penn women's rowing team, was recently named U.S. Rowing Developmental Coach of the Year. Kirch is now in her fourth year as coach of the Quakers. "It is an honor anytime you are elected for an award like this by your coaching peers," Kirch said. "It is the biggest compliment a coach can receive."