3af96d660ec9a831
Body Bowling for a gift certificate at Julians Restaurant in Franklin Mill Mall. Student Splash convention in the Phila Convention Center at 12th and Arch Streets. It is a fair aimed at High School and College Students, free giveaways and promotions.

Free stuff: every college student's dream. This weekend, students from the Philadelphia area got the chance to have their dreams realized. The first-ever Student Splash convention took place at the Pennsylvania Convention Center yesterday and Saturday. From T-shirts to movie passes to bookbags, local high school and college students were given the opportunity to load up their drawers and closets for the small price of having their e-mail boxes filled with junk mail from dozens of companies, both local and national. Several hundred area college students turned out for the two-day party, though the Penn turnout was scarce. "We wanted to create an event for students that was entertaining, and at the same time give companies the chance to market their products to a teenage audience," said Brad Broker, an organizer for the event. Companies such as Gateway, K2 Skating and AT&T; had booths on the floor of the convention center, as did the WB17 television station and dozens of Internet sites. "I had a great time, but I've got so many T-shirts I don't know what to do with them," College freshman Kate Lehman said. The free goods, for many, was reason enough to go downtown. But others were drawn by the chance to meet their favorite television stars. Dr. Drew Pinsky, host of the syndicated radio talk show and MTV late-night show Loveline, hosted a question-and-answer segment for students who dared to ask questions about their health, both physical and mental. He offered his opinions on the differences between men and women and discussed the ever-increasing role of sex in America's youth. "I love getting the chance to talk to young people about important health issues that can help them throughout the rest of their lives," Pinsky said. Another major attraction was the New York Comedy Film Festival, sponsored by the Burly Bear Network. In addition to showing short films by A-list celebrities Chris Rock and Conan O'Brien, stand-up comedians such as Sherrod Small and Jim Gaffigan performed for the audience. "It's fun to perform for college kids. They're always a receptive crowd," Small said following his performance in front of about 40 students. Broker said that in addition to groups like MTV volunteering their services, the organizers polled local students to determine which speakers, bands and comedians they would like to see perform. Guests such as Bryce Johnson, star of the WB show Popular, and current Real World cast members Melissa, Danny and Matt made the trip to Philadelphia for the weekend. All three nouveau celebrities attended on behalf of Contiki Tours, the same group that sponsored the New Orleans housemates' trip to South Africa. "I always enjoy these events. It makes people happy, so it's worthwhile," said Matt, who also hosted a question-and-answer session. Jimmie's Chicken Shack, an underground group from Annapolis, Md., performed after popular response gained them an invitation. Drummer Mike Sipple said the band was "surprised to be asked. We were in the studio recording our next CD, and we weren't even on tour. But we love playing different cities, meeting new people and showing our fans a good time." The reasons for attending were as diverse as the lineup itself. Still, whether they came to meet Dr. Drew or to take home a Dr. Drew keychain, most everyone agreed that it was worth the trip. "It's great because it gives us something to do on a weekend aside from study," Temple University sophomore Sara Ironman said.