The Dartmouth defense pulls down quarterback Gavin Hoffman for a sack during the Quakers' romp on Saturday. (Jacques-Jean Tiziou)

Gavin Hoffman passed for 336 yards and four touchdowns as Penn steamrolled Dartmouth 48-18. The Quakers scored touchdowns on their first four possessions en route to a 35-7 halftime lead and an easy victory in both teams' Ivy League opener. Penn's (2-1, 1-0 Ivy League) offensive onslaught marked the third time in as many games the Dartmouth (0-3, 0-1) has given up 40 or more points. The Big Green appeared to have righted their ship early on, marching 74 yards in 3:45 for a touchdown on the first possession of the game for a 7-0 lead. But the Quakers countered immediately, finding the end zone little over one minute later. Hoffman took Penn 70 yards in just four plays, capping the quick drive with a 35-yard strike to a wide-open Colin Smith. On Dartmouth's very next play from scrimmage, quarterback Brian Mann, rolling out of the pocket under pressure, threw an interception to Penn cornerback Kunle Williams, setting up the Quakers at the Dartmouth 27-yardline. Penn wasted no time getting back into the end zone. A screen pass to Smith went for 23 yards, and then Kris Ryan took his first carry of the season in for a four-yard score, putting the Quakers up for good. With the lead, the Penn defense regrouped and put the clamps on the Dartmouth offense, especially in crucial situations. The Big Green went 4-of-14 on third down conversions and just 1-of-5 on fourth down conversions. All four of the fourth down stops came in Penn territory, two of them in the red zone. On the other hand, Penn converted 12-of-18 third down situations. Three times, the Quakers cored touchdowns on third down plays. "That's a sign that we're getting a little bit more mature," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said of his young squad. "When your offense scores right away, and then the defense slams the door." Hoffman finished the day 25-for-30 passing, and passed the 3000-yard mark in his Quakers career. With a 42-7 lead midway through the third quarter, Hoffman was relieved by sophomore Mike Mitchell, who went 4-of-6 for 64 yards.