The leases of the Gold Standard and Palladium expire at the end of 2002. Penn's announcement last week of plans to reinvigorate Locust Walk leaves an unclear future for the Palladium Restaurant and the Gold Standard, both of which have been central fixtures on the Walk since 1983. Both restaurants reside in the Christian Association building -- located on the corner of 36th Street and Locust Walk-- which is one of four buildings that will soon hold several student groups. This past fall, the University purchased the CA building, taking control of the 27,000-square foot property in the heart of campus and ending 20 years of on- and off-negotiations. The dining establishments' lease expires December 31, 2002, according to Roger Harman, who owns both establishments. "We're not sure if the University wants us to stay here in a reduced capacity," Harman said yesterday. He added that he had been aware that his restaurants would be affected by the University's acquisition of the CA building. "There's no big secret here," Harman said. "We knew our lease was up." Harman said he has his eye on several other properties in the neighborhood to possibly relocate one or both restaurants, anticipating the committee's report. He added that he will discuss plans over the next few weeks with the Locust Walk Advisory Committee -- a 12-person task force of students, faculty and staff that University President Judith Rodin charged in February with determining how best to fill a number of recently vacated properties along the Walk. The CA building's ground floor, currently occupied by the Gold Standard, will eventually house a performing arts hub. Plans call for about a dozen campus organizations to get new homes and will spawn the creation of a cultural and performing arts center, a research hub for undergraduates, a graduate student center and common space for student religious groups. According to Provost Robert Barchi, who chaired the committee, Penn would reclaim much of the space the two restaurants now use, though he said the committee wanted to keep some type of food operation in the building. "It will be up to the University and specifically, Business Services, to work out whether or not it makes sense to continue with the current restaurant owners or to explore other alternatives," Barchi wrote in an e-mail yesterday. Students on the committee said that keeping the Palladium is a possibility. "There is the thought that there should be some outside dining," said Undergraduate Assembly Chairman Michael Silver, a College senior who sat on the committee, adding that a food venue adds character to the corner. Harman noted that renovations to the building may impact the restaurants' plans, as well. Starting this summer, the University's renovations will address safety issues stemming from structural inefficiencies and will tailor the CA building to the needs of its future occupants.