Without Ed Rendell in office, the University's relationship with the city may change after November. Though they may profess total neutrality in this year's pivotal Philadelphia mayoral race, Penn officials are watching the campaign with interest to see who will succeed a mayor who sent his son to Penn, cheered at the sidelines for nearly every Quaker basketball game and made frequent visits to campus during his eight years in office. Penn officials have enjoyed a close relationship with Rendell -- an alumnus and ardent University supporter -- but administrators say they are confident that the relationship will endure with either Democrat John Street or Republican Sam Katz. But no matter who the winner, one thing is certain: For the first time in 16 years, a Penn alumnus will not occupy City Hall. Rendell, who graduated from the College in 1965, was preceded by Wilson Goode, also a Penn alumnus, who served from 1984 until 1992. "We had a wonderful relationship with the Rendell administration," University President Judith Rodin said. But she added that "Penn has an important relationship with the city." The new mayor certainly won't be able to dismiss the University -- it is the largest private employer in the city and its wishes are usually acceded to by the city government. And both Katz and Street have said they plan to work closely with the University. "I know a lot of kids at Penn," said Katz, who is wooing voters from across the political spectrum with his moderate conservative platform. He added that he is "very committed" to the University. And former City Council President John Street -- who is endorsed by Rendell -- said that working with universities is "imperative" and "they represent a tremendous asset." The University and the city have a vested interest on various issues which affect both the campus and the surrounding community -- such as public safety, neighborhood improvement and retail development. "The relationship between Penn and the city is very substantive," Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman said. Scheman noted that the University must work well with the city because what's good for it is usually good for the campus. Rendell's economic revival has boosted Philadelphia's appeal and aided the University, which lured a huge range of new retail and restaurant venues -- including those in the Sansom Common complex and the upcoming Sundance Cinemas. "It's easier to attract businesses because of Ed Rendell," Scheman said. The mayor's office is also vital to the University because Penn needs city approval for many of its projects. As Scheman pointed out, "If we want to repair a sidewalk, close a street, build a building? everything goes through city agencies." Penn has had to work closely with city government on such issues as street vending -- which the University lobbied City Council to severely restrict on Penn's campus last year -- and is frequently involved in real estate deals with the city, including the purchase of much of the Philadelphia Civic Center. Though Penn may not want to take a stand, West Philadelphia City Council member Jannie Blackwell said she expects that West Philadelphia would thrive under Street's administration. "I think we know how to work together," she said. She added that if she worked with a good mayor and a good University president, "you have a win-win situation." But one Penn professor following the race said Katz may be more beneficial for Penn. "My guess would be that Sam Katz would be more sympathetic," said the professor, who requested anonymity. "He's part of the high-brow culture."