However, only a fraction of the number of students expected came out for free food in Fairmount Park. Skimmers in days of yore were characterized by the rowdy behavior of thousands of students who tore down bandstands, started riots and assaulted administrators and their wives. This year's Skimmer, held Saturday afternoon on the west bank of the Schuylkill River, was comparatively tame. Last year's incarnation of Skimmer -- the first since 1972, when the University and the City of Philadelphia banned the event due to alcohol-related incidents -- brought an unexpectedly large crowd down to the Schuylkill's East bank. Around 5,000 students, over twice the number organizers had planned for, mobbed food stands and buses, causing a near riot and a shortage of food and drink. But if this year's crowd was well-behaved, it was also rather small. According to event organizers, only between 500 and 750 students showed up. Despite the small crowds, however, most were in agreement that both food and transportation were provided more efficiently this year. Seven buses shuttled students back and forth between campus and Fairmount Park without incident. And while some students chose to pack their own lunch, lines were short for the hoagies, iced tea and pretzels provided free of cost. The scene at Skimmer was decidedly mellow as students played volleyball, kicked around a hackeysack or just lay sprawled out on the grass watching various performing arts groups and bands. Bloomers, Penn's all-female comedy troupe, performed, along with Arts House Dance and Strictly Funk. Local hip-hop group Legacy took the stage twice and a trio comprised of Wharton junior Dave Goldman, College junior Marc McGehan and College freshman Ira Tuton lent their laid-back, acoustic rock sounds to the afternoon. At 3:15 p.m., a blue awning was lifted into place several feet behind the food tent and a line quickly formed as students queued up to take advantage of the free professional massage. College freshman Wendy Shiekman said her massage was "incredible," noting that it was "definitely the highlight of my day." The event was coordinated by the Junior Class Board. Junior Class President Lisa Marshall, the main organizer, echoed the sentiments of many who attended when she attributed the smaller attendance to the University's stricter alcohol policy. "There were reports that the LCE would be there and I think that's part of it," Marshall said. But the Pennsylvania State Liquor Control Enforcement bureau handed out no citations at this year's event and Marshall said she didn't actually see any LCE agents roaming around the party, though it is possible some could have attended in undercover attire. Just one city police officer visibly attended the event and remained in his vehicle throughout the day. College sophomore Micah Westerman remarked, "Last year's Skimmer was a lot more fun. And I'm not sure whether it was the alcohol or not but something is definitely missing this year." However, aside from slightly disappointing attendance on the balmy Saturday afternoon, most in attendance agreed that this year's Skimmer will not be remembered for the chaos that marked last year's event. "I think this is a nice way to spend a relaxing afternoon in the sun," said College junior Faith Dzurovcik, lounging on a blanket amid the remains of a picnic lunch. Marshall said the docile mood of this year's Skimmer might make city officials more willing to allow the event to go on in the future. "The Fairmont Park Commission was really happy with how things went," she said.