For at least the seventh consecutive semester, the Greek grade point average ranked higher than the overall student average, according to statistics released by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs. Greeks earned an average 3.28 GPA last semester, compared to a 3.25 all-student average and a 3.24 non-Greek average. OFSA Director Scott Reikofski attributed the Greeks' ever-increasing academic standings to both University-wide and inter-chapter competition. The Greeks, like the rest of the University, realize "the primary reason they are here is school," Reikofski said. He added that the average GPA among members of Panhellenic Council sororities continued to get higher, outpacing those of the InterFraternity Council and BiCultural InterGreek Council. With a fall average of 3.4 for Panhel females, Reikofski said "they stand a pretty good chance" at winning the Outstanding Scholarship Award honor this summer, which is awarded every two years to the school with a high Panhel GPA. The all-female average for last semester was a lesser 3.28. In fall 1997, Panhel females ranked in at 3.39, with the all-female average standing at 3.28 "The supportive network of sororities leads to a conducive environment for good grades," said Panhel President Becca Iverson, a College junior, adding that big sisters work with little sisters in Panhel's commitment to scholarship. Iverson noted that females who rush "tend to be already very driven" and were academically motivated even before they joined the Greek system. Although the IFC average rose from 3.13 in the fall of 1997 to 3.19 this past fall, its average is still slightly below the all-male average of 3.2. IFC President Mark Metzl called the IFC rise in GPA "noteworthy" but added that the board will be working to improve academics system-wide. "At this point, academic support programs are concentrated at the chapter level," said Metzl, a College junior. "It's the goal of the IFC exec board to provide a more structured framework for academic support for the system." The BIG-C -- comprised of both male and female minority organizations -- earned an average 2.83 last semester, nearly half a point lower than the all-student average. And last semester's ranking showed a drop from the fall of 1997, when the BIG-C scored an average GPA of 2.91. BIG-C officers were not available for comment last night. Universities with academic environments and Greek systems comparable to Penn's did not show a discrepancy in Greek versus campus-wide grades this past fall. At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Assistant Dean of Residence and Campus Activities Steven Dorow said that in the past 10 years there has not been a "significant difference" between the Greek grade point average and the school-wide average. And Northwestern University's first-quarter average for Greeks was 3.25, slightly below the all-student 3.27 average and the non-Greek 3.31 average, according to Associate Director for Greek Affairs Steven Dealph.