Food-truck operator Scott Goldstein, who for nearly a year has led about 90 campus vendors in working to make a controversial, Penn-backed city ordinance regulating their businesses less restrictive, resigned as chairperson of the University City Vendors Alliance yesterday, citing emotional and physical exhaustion. He said a potential time-draining lawsuit, which the UCVA or individual vendors might file seeking an injunction to prevent enforcement of the ordinance, also played a role in his decision. No successor has been named. Goldstein, 34, formed the UCVA last May when the University submitted its first vending ordinance proposal. The current legislation would ban vending from many streets and sidewalks around campus 90 days after its enactment and prohibit the use of electrical generators a year after passage. Separately, the University is building five food plazas around campus to hold 45 of the displaced vendors. Goldstein has run Scott's Vegetarian Cuisine truck near 36th and Walnut streets since 1986. Goldstein and about 30 other of the ordinance's opponents -- including representatives of the Penn Consumer Alliance, the other ad hoc group organized in response to the initial proposal -- testified against the bill at marathon hearings held in City Hall last week. Despite their protests, Council is expected to pass the bill tomorrow. Goldstein said he "experienced a sense of relief" after the hearings because he felt the controversy was coming to an end. And although conversations with other vendors convinced him that the fight was far from over, Goldstein said he realized that the no longer had the energy to lead the vending group. "I now know that I underestimated the complexity of what there is left to do," Goldstein said. "I can't take responsibility for [the UCVA] anymore." One of these complexities is a possible lawsuit against the city and University which would seek an injunction against the ordinance, an action Goldstein said he personally opposes. At a meeting to be held a week from Saturday, UCVA attorney Robert Sugarman will discuss the possible legal action. Sugarman declined to comment yesterday. But Goldstein said many vendors had already consulted their own lawyers about filing individual suits. There had been speculation recently among many vendors that Goldstein was going to be forced out, but Goldstein denied that was the reason that he was resigning. "It's not like I'm resigning so I don't get fired," Goldstein said. "It's not a job anyone would want." Despite the sad note on which Goldstein is leaving his post, he stressed that he's "proud of what I have done." Sami Dakko, owner of the Rami's Lebanese Luncheonette truck on 40th Street, said he will miss Goldstein's leadership but understands why he resigned. "Too many times he closed down his own business to do something [with the ordinance]," Dakko said. "He used his time to help everyone." Penn Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Carol Scheman, who has worked closely with Goldstein on the vending issue, said she is "not surprised" with Goldstein's decision. "It's been a thankless job, and he had certainly put a lot of time into it," Scheman said. Goldstein's family has a long history at the University. His father, Kenneth, chaired the Folklore Department for 25 years; his mother, Rochelle, worked as a business administrator for several Penn departments for 25 years; and both his sisters hold Penn degrees. A University City native who currently resides in West Philadelphia, Goldstein attended Central High School for two years and went on to graduate from the Parkway Program, an alternative Philadelphia public-school program.